1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does replacing mother board require new hard drive too?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by univers39, Jan 28, 2005.

1. univers39

univers39 Member

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop PCV RX752 and it began acting strangely a few days ago: stopped connecting to network and DSL, began to show odd type sizes on the desktop, would only work if I booted in Safe Mode. A couple of times I got a message that Taskmgr.exe wouldn't work so I couldn't reboot. Had to turn off manually at the switch. I backed up most of what I needed onto DVD. Worked but took about 2 hours to do 4 gigs each time. Today it went into sleep mode, then wouldn't come out of it (appropriately, I guess). I finally had to unplug it to turn it off thinking I could try Safe Mode again. Now it is totally dead. No response, doesn't come on at all. I'm guessing mother board. Been through hard drive failures in the past. This doesn't seem like HD. My question is however, how do I know what replacement mother board to use (just order same one?) and does it mean I've lost my hard drive? Can I just replace the mother board and continue with the existing HD, provided it's not hosed too?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

U.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if hd is still good than keep it but won't know till you get new mb. what cpu in vaio??

3. univers39

univers39 Member

Intel Pentium 4, 2 GHz. Not sure but think it's an Asus MB.

Does it sound like MB more than HD to your experienced eyes? For what it's worth, it never made a weird sound,just came on a few days ago with a system failure notification blue screen, that began a clock ticking on the bottom, saying something about not having enough memory. That's when I started booting to Safe Mode to save things. There are several very critical files I didn't get to, hence the HD panic.

Thanks for any impressions!
    U.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect all drive cables from drives, remove all cards except video & 1 stick of ram but reseat those & power connector to motherboard, than reconnect powercord & powerup system to see what happens

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Also check your power supply before spending or replacing anything. Voltage problems can cause some of the same symptoms.