1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does SATA HD speed up encoding?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by conradw, Mar 21, 2005.

1. conradw

conradw Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a SATA drive vs. a ATA-100 drive for encoding?

Most encoding jobs are about 7.5GB and take a fair amount of compression...~50% for menu and extras and ~70% for main movie. I usually drop all language tracks and all subtitles to fit a single-layer DVD+R disc. Encoding in Shrink generally takes 22-24min.

I installed an Adaptec SATA Connect expension card (http://tinyurl.com/6zb4w) last month to troubleshoot a SATA drive from another computer. Would it be of any benefit for me to add a SATA HD to my system for the sole purpose of speeding up encoding times in Shrink?

My current setup:
    Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz
    XP Pro SP2
    Shrink v3.1.7.6
    768MB PC-2700 RAM
    WD 80GB ATA-100, DMA Mode 5
    Seagate 120GB ATA-100, DMA Mode 5

TIA!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if you rip to disk first with decrypter and then encode on your raid 0 setup you will notice a big difference, specially when sata2 comes out (300 bandwidth compared to sata 150 and ata 133)
    Plus everything generally runs quicker, + smaller cables, + new technology so going to have to use it eventually

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

then again it does cost a bit more and with a raid 0 setup if one disc goes you lose everything

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i have a lowly run-of-the-mill 20GB ATA100 drive and i'm able to use Shrink to encode in 15mins flat (on my Athlon 2800+XP with 512MB DDR something or other). If the encode takes any longer than 15mins (not often) it's always down to less than optimal read speed from the source DVD drive/DVD disc. Encoding is primarily down to grunt of the CPU. Having a very quick hard drive wouldn't hurt but is not essential for encoding

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

but it is always handy and you cant beat a raid setup for balls out storage ability

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

totally agree, its just the only place i can reach the heady heights of that much storage, and raid, is at work. My preference is raid10, but we suffer raid5 on some of our machines. We're about to wheel in a Netapp filer, which uses the 'wafl' file system, which means the data literally gets dropped where the heads happen to be

7. conradw

conradw Member

Thanks for the response. I'll probably just hold off on the SATA HD for now.