1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does shrink keep dvds progressive?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dbldown11, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

I just was looking to confirm this question. I thought that backups of a progressive scan dvd are no longer progressive on the backup disc with dvd shrink. Is this true?

If so, are there any current methods or guides to retain the progressive nature of the original disc.

thanks

2. madgreek

madgreek Guest

To answer the question, the answer is yes or no. Depends on how you look at it. If you burn the disk with no compression at 1:1...turn on progressive scan..the disk is the same so yes. Remember progressive scan is not a type of disk. Its a way to view a disk, nothing more. You can watch a movie in progressive scan mode that is compressed it will just not look as good

3. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

thats kinda what i thought. So any sort of compression or re-encoding reduces the nature of the progressive scan - Understanding it can be run in a progressive scan player. A 1-1 copy will retain all current standards.

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Exactly. :)

5. dklug

dklug Member

how do you turn on progressive scan on dvd shrink? So i guess what i am getting at is how do i make sure i have progressive scan viewability on my dvd backups?

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

dklug, back it up 1:1 to keep progressive scan ability, its part of your set top dvd player, not dvd shrink's encoding ability