1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does speed effect quality?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by c2sellit1, Dec 25, 2004.

1. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I was wondering if recording speed on a disc effected the quality when using a home dvd recorder, Like if I use a dvd+ with 2.4 max speed and another that is 4x will the 4 x deliver better quality????

Just wondering if anyone can pass any info along it would be greatly appreciated.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most here burn at 4x and get top results. Including myself. If you burn faster you increase the chance of errors. In answer to your question the quality will not deteriorate if you burn at 4x. If you think about it all you are doing is transferring data. The speed at which you transfer it is irrelevant.

3. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

My opinion on this is it depends on your specs. If you got good equipment then you should be have no problems. If you have subpar equipment then I think you run the risk of making coasters.

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i burn at 8x with verbatim datalifeplus dvd+r's all the time with no problems . i still burn at 4x with other brands of media . most will say 4x is best .

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

I burn to my good media at 8x and should I get cheaper media I burn at 4x, and so far that has worked well for me.
    It does make you wonder why the newer machines coming onto the market can burn up to 16x, you would expect a lot more errors at this speed I should imagine, but I guess it depends on your computers specs to how well the burn turns out.

6. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I am using these discs for my dvd+r recorder it isnt a pc but a set top box like a vcr and I am using a rather cheap media (arita) and it's max is 2.4x and it looks brilliant even at 6 hour recording mode however when I use the philips brand it came with it is 4x and at a 2 hour recording mode the quality looks washed up.

7. Shemyaza

Shemyaza Member

I've been using Sonys 4X's and Verbatim DigitalMovie at 4x without any problems playing on my standalone. But sometimes, I'll have errors in playback or loading when I use Verbatim's 8X media burnt at 4X. But if I burn those same discs at 2X, no problems. Weird. Maybe I need to update my firmware.

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

shemyaza i have had the same kind of problem as you . i also have the latest firmware update and it does not correct the problem . that is why i buy different speeds media . i have had many many errors on the disc when slowing the burn speed down when using 8x media . it is strange that this happens and most on this site will tell you to slow the burn speed down to reduce errors but that has only made things worse with even more errors .
    it seems if i let it burn at what ever the disc is rated at i have no errors on the disc at all but as soon as i would slow the burn speed down using 8x media i would get boat loads errors on the disc . go figure

9. Shemyaza

Shemyaza Member

Well, the 8X discs that I burn at 4x which is my max speed seem to have occasional load problems on my Momitsu. It may take ejecting and reinserting a few times but when it loads, it plays flawlessly. It's a finicky machine. I think it feels insulted if I put in cheap media in it. But those same discs that I burn at 4x will play fine on my JVC 600 and my Phillips 642.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004