1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does swap knife method work for dvdr games?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by lopedl, Jan 17, 2004.

1. lopedl

lopedl Member

Ive seen several posts on ths swap knife method for booting backups, but no one mentions if it works for dvdr games. The info out there says it works for cdr games. So can anyone verify this?

I am currently running a neokey, but find that it will not boot dvdr games. So I am trying to see what alternatives I have.

So I should also ask can I use the swap knife method as an accessory to my neokey installed. Or can I only use one or the other.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer.

2. lopedl

lopedl Member

ps. I have a ps2 and I am trying to boot up backups of my original games.

3. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

I heard that it will with the Swap Magic discs. Apparently there is one disc for booting CD-R games and another for booting DVD based games. I can't verify this yet as I also started a thread about which method I should go with and how reliable they are. Hopefully we can both get answers to our questions soon!

4. Gsus

Gsus Guest

I just burned my first dvd-r game and it doesn't seem to work with AR2 and swipe card! Oh no!
    This really pisses me off!
    Could some one please help!

5. lildarryl

lildarryl Member

Yah that works i used to do that before i got a flip top cover. All you need is swap magic.

6. lildarryl

lildarryl Member

i wouldent sugest it because over time if fusks up ur PS2

7. Gsus

Gsus Guest

but my ps2 is version 3 (i think) will it work?

8. lopedl

lopedl Member

Anyone?

"PS2 without modchip, Using GS/AR/Swap Magic with Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 DVD backup booting

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot (if needed by your disc)
    2. Power on your PS2
    3. Insert AR/GS/SM* disc, press Reset
    4. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT
    5. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
    6. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    7. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
    8. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
    9. Press "Start" on controller
    10. Select "Without codes", press X
    11. Press X again, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    12. You will hear Original DVD stop spinning
    13. You will have about 10 seconds to do the following 2 steps
    14. Immediately after disc stops spinning open Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
    15. Close Flip top or Use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
    16. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the DVD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen use Swipe/Slide Card for swap and follow on screen directions.

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note - For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 6 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 9.

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups"

-------------------------------------------------------I just tried it. And
    I have had success with booting up cd-r backups, using the swipe card method.
    But I have been unsuccessful with trying to boot up a dvd-r backup, I have tried both -r and +r media. I have used two different types of media already to include:
    Verbatim-r datalife, and Imation+r. I have a V3 ps2, and am using GS2 v2. I haven't even been able to load a dvd movie backups successfully since they don't need mods, but had a friend try the same movie on his ps2 and it worked. So, I need some questions answered. I am trying to see if I am doing something wrong or if it is just my media. A few problems I had using this method was:

under the command Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time). It does not say "updating code list". By presing X 3 times it just pushes on done 3 times. I don't understand the point of this anyway, and does it even matter whether I do this or not?

and at the point of removing the "TOC" an original ps2 game, am I correct in removing the game when I hear it stop and the screen is paused on the last screen "updating code list", and then I am to swap it with a dvd backup game, and it has to be done on that same screen before the "TOC" game advances. But when I do this it just stays on that screen "Updating code list" till the end of time, but if I don't do it fast enough the "TOC" game begins to load.

1)So my question is at what point do I load the backup and at what point do I know I am to late?

2)Has booting up a dvd-r backup of their ps2 worked for anyone using this method? If so please share your experiences..

3)If you have had success loading a dvd-ps2 backup was it the same type of media that worked for booting up a dvd-movie backup?