1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the original drive run at 12X?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sam1dog, May 2, 2007.

1. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Hi,
    I was thinking updating my samsung to the newer 5.2A and noticed that this firmware reads backups at 12x. Does the original drive unflashed run at 12x also?

Will the newer 5.2A still be able to read games at slower speeds or is it constantly reading backups at 12x all the time? I just didn't know if that would be bad. Thanks

2. theridges

theridges Guest

FOr Xtreme 5.2A backup Read Speed is always same as original game disks 12x. Original discs unaffected

FOr Xtreme 5.2B backup Read Speed is always quiet/slow. Original discs unaffected.

FOr Xtreme 5.2C default backup Read Speed is same as original game disks 12x. When Original Game disk is booted, all subsequent backup loading will be at Quiet/Slow Read mode, Original Game disks are unaffected. Turn console off/on to reset back to Default backup read speed (12x). Quiet/Slow Read Speed is for quiet operation and/or cheap DVD+R DL media.

FOr Xtreme 5.2D default backup Read Speed is Quiet/Slow 2-4x. When Original Game disk is booted, all subsequent backup loading will be at Fast Read mode 12x, Original Game disks are unaffected. Turn console off/on to reset back to Default backup read speed for backups (2-4x).

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  3. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

thanks theridges, but does a stock unmodified 360 always run at 12x? It seem like sometimes while I play games the drive speeds up and slows down through out the game.

Will 5.2A at 12X read speed always read everything at 12X or will it still be able to slow down and speed up like the original?

Thanks

4. theridges

theridges Guest

Yep Original Games are read at 12x...the 5.2A is read a back-up exactly like an Original..

5. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

thanks theridges

6. cman675

cman675 Member

so what are the advantages? i mean woudln't it be wise just to have a back up read like an original game?

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If someone is using cheap quality media or burner, chances are pretty good that they'll end up with a "dre" if the drive is reading at 12x.

That's why I always suggest using 5.2c. It'll read at 12x but if by chance someone runs into a problem, they can simply switch to slow read mode to see if it's the media without having to reflash.

8. cman675

cman675 Member

oh alrihgt sweet, thanks.