1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the PS2 support progressive scan and is there an AAC file player

Discussion in 'PS2' started by zamsak, Jan 13, 2004.

1. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

What is progressive scan and does the PS2 have the feature or whatever it is.

Does it have an AAC file player. I just got Winamp 5 and ripped Beatles to AAC and whoa even on earphones you are able to hear every different vocal and instrument from different directions. I loved it. Does anybody know an AAC file player for the PS2???

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

only newer ps2 versions (version 9 and 10) have progressive scan playback for dvd movies. I haven't heard of an AAC player for ps2.

3. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

What does progressive scan do? Does it increase the quality drastically??

4. FFW

FFW Member

Progressive

Progressive or progressive scan is basically an opposite to interlaced picture.

In standard, interlaced analog TV, the picture on TV is changed 50 or 60 times (50Hz in Europe/PAL systems and 60Hz in most NTSC systems, including the American one), but the picture contains only every other horizontal line and the line between is left "empty" -- and the next frame then contains only the horizontal lines missed in the last frame. So, therefor in interlaced picture, at 50Hz frequency, the picture actually changes only 25 times per second (so its framerate is 25fps).

But in progressive scan technology, every picture contains everything, so therefor 50Hz progressive scan video changes the picture 50 times per second, having the framerate of 50fps.

I got this here from the the afterdwan glossary.

5. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Sorry. I did not know that there was an Afterdawn glossary

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

keep in mind that the tv has to support the progresive scan... as for the aac... thats quite hard to make even for a player it will be hard.... cuz aac it hard to decode and it was meant to be on pc only... like with quicktime movies... even if it's mpeg4 it's still not used in dvd's.. not ps2 or anyother player besides quicktime can decode it properly...

7. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Thanks Cyprien