1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this Memory Card (pic) look fake?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by bboy1, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Just bought this on ebay here in Australia. Seller is in Australia. Soon as I got it I inspected really carefully and noticed the sealing of the packaging looked a bit dodgy. I haven't opened it yet and I emailed Sandisk with the pic asking for their thoughts.

The seller stated it is genuine and came from an authorised supplier called Amicroe Australia and also states that it can be registered on the Sandisk site. I checked his feedback before buying and everyone who bought it seemed happy, with a few stating that the card is genuine so naturally I felt comfortable that it'd be genuine.

However as I haven't tested it yet (still waiting for my PSP to arrive) the sealing is what seems to look a bit dodgy. From what I can see everything else looks the same as a genuine one.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5496/p8130001ve1.jpg

There's the pic. Can anyone let me know what they think. Genuine or fake? Thanks

2. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Here's a bigger pic.

[​IMG]

3. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

If it wasn't completely sealed then there is a chance that it could be a fake. Did you check the seller's feedback? Always a must when buying from there. The light blue card is the correct size but the bit underneath I am concered, no way will that size fit in the PSP.

4. Adzagam

Adzagam Member

The big one, honestly I don't know when I would use it, but the blue one is the one you have to insert into the PSP. I have 2 Memory Stick Pro Duo's, one is just a normal one(4gb 100 bucks) and the other one was made for the PSP(1gb 100 bucks too :(), and the shape/size seems to match and all.

5. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Well it's just that you can see the glue or wtv where it's been sealed. It doesn't look like it was done in the factory. Looks like a heat gun or wtv you call em was just used. There's a gap on the bottom left where it wasn't sealed fully. Also the 2 pieces of plastic that make up the packaging aren't aligned properly with each other...and also the rack hole at the top aren't the same size. It's just the packaging that makes me almost certain it's fake. Unless the seller resealed a genuine one himself but that seems unlikely.

Yeah I checked his feedback as I said in the original post "I checked his feedback before buying and everyone who bought it seemed happy, with a few stating that the card is genuine so naturally I felt comfortable that it'd be genuine." And the adapter underneath is used for things that use Duo not pro duo. So you put the pro duo card in it and use it that way. It's not meant for PSP.

Compare it with the sealing on this one. Don't you think this one seems a bit more genuine and professional looking than my one?
    [​IMG]

6. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Hmm actually...just use this ebay seller's one as an example. He's not the seller I bought off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320127561957

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320127566057

If you look at the 2, his 1GB one looks like what I just showed and his 2GB one looks the same as the one I got. Argh this is making things harder. Either this sellers just another crook selling fakes OR maybe for some random unknown reason, Sandisk decided to seal the 2GB ones differently and cheaper looking compared to the others...

But the sealing on my one looks really poor and unprofessional...I mean there's a gap in the sealing for gods sake...

7. Adzagam

Adzagam Member

Second pic makes the first one look fake. Well, all I can say is that you should test it on a friend's PSP first...

8. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Yeah-thats the only way to find out if its fake or not-is to test it in a PSP..If its magicgate supported, then you have a winner-but if it says "unknown","unsupported", or if its just blank after the Magicgate: text in the menu, then you have a fake..

BTW-the litttle part on the bottom of the package is an adapter for other devices that take the long memory stick pro-Like Sony digital cameras...

And one more thing, STOP BUYING MEMORY STICKS FROM EBAY!!! The majority of them are fake, as the market is flooded with those Hong-Kong joints...Buy your memory from a trusted source, one you can get a refund from if need be...Most people that buy memory sticks from eBay think nothing about whether or not they are fake-and by the time they do realize it is fake, the seller you got it from just happens to be "no longer a registered user" on eBAy--So why not spend the extra money on a good memory stick-It will save you alot more hassle in the long run..I mean after all, you're getting your games for free right??

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  9. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Well I do care if it's fake and I was cautious before buying. I checked feedback like I said and people left feedback saying its genuine.

I opened it btw and from the looks of it, it actually looks real. The cardboard inside has writing on it and there was this little booklet thing inside and it even had those electronic security barcode stickers. It looks very real. I'd be surprised if it's fake now that I've opened it. Soon as the PSP arrives I will try it out.

10. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

oh yeah, the bit on the bottom is an adapter so you can put it in Memstick readers etc. etc. it looks like the sandisk's i've purchased at bestbuy, so i'd say it's legit, but no way to tell on that till u put it in a PSP.

11. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

On UK ebay there's only literally 2 or 3 genuine sellers, if you look at the pics (of sony brand) you can clearly see if it's fake or real.

I've seen many an auction where the seller lists as genuine, with 100% feedback, people are happy, even say it's genuine, when the picture of the item CLEARLY shows it as fake. Makes me kinda annoyed, and be amazed how oblivious some people are.

12. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

oh yeah, both of your pics are legit packaging, i've purchased 1GB Sandisk, 2GB Sandisk and 4GB Sandisk, packaging slightly differs on them all.

13. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Woot. Got my psp today and it says magicgate supported. That's a relief. Was pretty sure it was genuine once I opened it though.

Well, thanks a lot everyone for your help! Really appreciate it.

14. Contracts

Contracts Member

Only thing I can spot that could make it possibly fake is the fact that it has rounded edges on the adjacent side of the pins. Something I don't recall seeing on my old SanDisk 1GB card but maybe 2Gb's are different.