1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does UTorrent not work on Linux, get an error.

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by NaztyNayt, Dec 2, 2007.

1. NaztyNayt

NaztyNayt Regular member

I just got Ubuntu, and I tried Dling UTorrent, When I double click the .exe I get and error saying "utorrent.exe" cannot be opened - No application suitable for automatic installation is available for handling this kind of file.

Do I have to download an update, or what? Or do torrents just not work on Linux.

2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

You're trying to run a Windows program under Linux... Try running a native Linux torrent program (or Java client like Azureus), look in the package manager. I'd in particular suggest getting a hold of "Deluge", it has everything that I used from utorrent like scheduler etc and is nice and clean. I'm not sure if it is in the main repository, but there is a good chance of it. That failing, here is a link to a .deb for you, you would then do something like "sudo dpkg -install [filename.deb]": http://download.deluge-torrent.org/...&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.7.1-1_i386.gutsy.deb

If you really want utorrent, you'll need to install Wine (but I believe that Deluge is quite suitable as a replacement). Should be as simple as "sudo apt-get wine" or something like that, and then what you're trying to do (double clicking .exe) will work, but the overhead of running Wine will probably kill a lot of the benefit of utorrent.

3. NaztyNayt

NaztyNayt Regular member

Thanks again Oz, thanks also for the help with the other topic. A friend of mine referred me to Deluge, but I also wanted a Peerguardian. He referred me to Moblock, and everything looked to be running ok, but at the end I finish, and I get the following error...

Failed to fetch http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/debian/dists/feisty/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
    Reading package lists... Done
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Can you, or does anyone else know what I could be doing wrong here? I followed the guide step by step, and my friend knows a lot about linux as well, so I we're both actually curios.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

µtorrent doesn't work well under wine on debian based systems.. especially on 64 architecture.. it can't access sockets properly.

Now about this moblock error..

your repo list is pointing at

Architectures: i386
    Codename: feisty
    Components: main
    Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 17:50:18 UTC
    Description: Debian MoBlock Packages

but it needs to be looking at the x64, or you need to force it.. it may be that the packages it wants are unavailable from that source..
    The debian archives are a real mess... not fun.
    I had exactly the same problems and gave up with moblock.. I run azureus with safepeer.

Ubuntu forums or google ;-)

5. NaztyNayt

NaztyNayt Regular member

Thanks Varnull, I'll look into it some more.

6. arcder23

arcder23 Member

dude, u dont need utorrent for Linux, if u have Kubuntu or Ubuntu it comes with a programn called Ktorrent it works just fine.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Those still need moblock which is awkward to set up.. if it can be made to work at all.

As stated azureus comes with safepeer and encryption plus hundreds of other tweaks.. It may be a little ram heavy (never notived it use more that 80Mb myself) but there is a little app called "nice" whick can tame the beast.

I'm trying to get a *nix 64 user interested in this topic as he knows from experience how to get torrents and things working with x64 architecture.

8. NaztyNayt

NaztyNayt Regular member

thanks Varnull, I'm just really trying to learn how to operate the terminal still.

9. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

Deluge running on x64 architecture. the .deb didn't work for me, so i downloaded the source and compiled to install. Now i have tried to get the "blocklist importer" plugin to work but it seems to not want to work for some reason. I have to run with the DHT enabled to allow uploading (with any speed) and it seems to work fine for me. (although i will do some further testing when I get round to it) The only issue I have is when it first opens and loads up the torrents (e.g. when you start your system up and start it) it hogs the system while it checks the downloaded files. Again this may just be me and the way I have it set up, but if anyone else experiences this please let me know (then I can stop being paranoid).

10. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

OK, decided to have a look again at the blocklist importer. Don't try to get Deluge to download it from the site, doesn't work (for me anyway). Download the file from the site, then set the location of the file in the blocklist importer to wherever you saved it. I got the safepeer list from http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/splist.zip, although there are others (deluge points you in the preferences/plugins list. I will post again tomorrow (if i remember) to update on whether or not their is any detrimental/positive effects to having the blocklist running.

Something else i just thought of, kTorrent is banned on several sites due to the way it reports to the tracker, as is Transmission (another download manager) but dependant on which version you use.

11. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

OK as promised another update. Loaded the blocklist from safepeer from a file on the PC rather than try by URL (gave up after 20mins and nothing happening). Disabled DHT and i am getting uploads! For some reason it never worked without enabling DHT but now it does (don't ask me why, guess I must be lucky).