1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does v3 ps2 have a weak laser?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by badboy626, Aug 18, 2004.

1. badboy626

badboy626 Member

hey i was just wonder how long the laser lasts on a version 3 ps2. i kno version 4's have a weak laser and i was just wondering how the version 3 is (since i own one and am about to get my mod upgraded)

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have a v2 and it will be 4 yrs old in October, bought at US launch. I have heard for a long time that the earlier models have a weak laser but I have never experienced any problems even with 3 kids or myself playing it daily since we got it.

I think a lot of the people that have had laser problems also use them for playing DVDs. I don't do that, I use a DVD player for that. When you play a DVD the laser is constantly in use, where if you play a game the laser is only used when loading levels or in full motion video sequences, not constantly. I would wager that the majority of the people that have laser problems used their PS2 as a DVD player as well.

3. Fuzzy_C

Fuzzy_C Regular member

i noticed with my first ps2 that the ps2 has troubles reading dvd's for extended periods, atleast mine did, v4, it seemed to tire out the laser after about 2 or 3 hours of use, if you watched two movies in a row, the second movie would start screwing up and breaking the picture and stuff, so i know that playing dvd's really takes a tole on the ps2 laser, so i think xian is probly right, people who report weak lasers must use there ps2 for playing dvd's as well as games because i've owned my newer one also a v4 for a couple years already and have never had any problems, and i only use it for games.