1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Video speed affect quality of a VHS

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by defiantnj, Mar 15, 2005.

1. defiantnj

defiantnj Member

I have a 4hr and 30 min recording im putting on a dvd. I own a philips dvd recorder. Now my question is it has 6 speeds...1 is highquality, 2 is dvd quality and so on...now my question is the 4th speed is 4 hrs long and then the 5th speed is vhs super long play quality....which is 6hrs that i can record to a dvd. If i use the 5th speed since i have a 4.5 hr recording to do,will that downgrade the quality of the program when its recorded? my thought is a vhs tape is one quality and u cant improve it?

2. txman2

txman2 Member

I'm surprised that nobody has answered your question yet which is rather simple and straight forward. I gather you simply want to copy a VHS tape that is 4 hours and 30 minutes long (270 minutes) total to your DVD Recorder. Correct? I believe the Philips has 6 recording
    modes - the two final ones are EP and SLP (240 and 360 minutes) So if you want the complete program of 270 minutes, your obvious choice is the SLP mode on your recorder. As for quality? I'm sure you won't notice any difference. Your DVD copy will not look better or worse than your VHS tape!