1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Vista cause problems in Backing Up?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by iluvendo, Nov 10, 2007.

1. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

There are a lot of issues, but the question is does Vista cause backing up issues working with pay and freeware? I've heard yes and no here at AD. I think yes, Vista causes problems and Xp is the way to go. How about some of your thoughts

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

I don't have Vista yet and don't plan on getting it anytime soon but i think most the burning software is working fine

dvd shrink
    dvdfab decrypter
    clonedvd 2 + anydvd

the biggest problem is confliting software which is hard to pin down sometimes

3. david66

david66 Regular member

Vista does not cause backup issues i am running Vista with nero 7 plus dvd shrink and dvddecryptor plus dvd fab decrypter all work lot of problems are caused by firmware not up to date not enough RAM vista reguires lots of RAM 512 is not enough I use 2gigs

4. soup1

soup1 Member

I have the option of using either XP or Vista & have had no problems so far in Vista with backing up anything.

5. sweepe007

sweepe007 Member

I have vista and had some problems at first.My Favorite program did not work at all Nero screwed up my computer. When I installed nero my dvd icon from my computer disapeared, I had to do a system restore to fix my problem as well as unistalling the program.I too need a program where I can divid up my 1/2 hour clips into chapters so I can pick and chose as needed. I will be trying one recomenged elsewere on this forum

6. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Probably it depends on what kind of burner or computer you have, but definitly I think vista cause problems burning discs. I have a new DELL 2gig RAM, 500 HD, and a combo burner. However, I haven't be able to burn any disc succesfuly. I have used paid and free software, but nothing. For example I have a dvd image of a movie I tried to burn it with ImgBurn. It says the operation was succesful, but when I check the dvd to see how was the copy, the disc was empty, nothing was copied. So I decided to play around with the setting but now everytime that I do it my system freeze and I have to restart the computer. I have tried different things that I was told in other treads but still nothing. Can anybody direct me to a guide on how to have installed vista and xp at the same time?

7. david66

david66 Regular member

What brand of blank media are you using? lots of problems are caused by poor quality media also make sure your firmware for your burner is up to date

8. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Yea many people asked me about the media that I use. Well I have used TDK for a while and like I said I don't have a problem when I used with my laptop with xp or with a mac. besides I have tried verbatim, and maxel and the result is the same. A waist of a disc or a disc that only can be played in the computer but not in a stand alone dvd player. Again those discs work fine with other computers just not with this new Dell with Vista. I wonder If dell can send me a disc of windows XP to install it?

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

try using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning at a max speed of 8x or even 4x if you're still having problems.

I have found that Taiyo Yuden will play in about anything so i don;t think its the dell/vista issue.

make sure you have the most up to date firmware for the drive/burner ,check here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

the TDK most likely will code as CMC Mag which is poor media

10. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Thanks for the advise SoZo. Actually I just finished trying to burn one disc using a verbatim at a speed of 6x. Same thing It will play in the computer, even in my xbox, but it won't play in the samsung dvd player that I want it to play. The TDK might be poor media but how come it plays fine when is burned from a mac or my laptop? I really appreciate the advise. I will check the link about the firm ware. Thanks man.

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

are you using DVD dash R or DVD plus R format?? and the media that worked was it 8x speed or 16x speed media??

the DVD dash R is more compatible with most dvd players or if you're using the DVD plus R booktype to DVD-ROM for better playback compatabilty

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  12. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Yes. They are DVD-R 16x and a burn them to 4x or 8x speed. That is the reason that I use DVD-R because of the compatibility. Another thing that I notice is that if I burn it first to a DVD-RW Memorex or Maxell brand the copies play fine most of the time, but after that when I burn it to the DVD-Rs they don't play and sometines it says prohibit disc play. It is so damn weird.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

hummm its definitely a compatibility issue between the blank media and the DVD player. its going to be trial and error finding media that works with it. i would try Taiyo Yuden DVD-R my bet they will work. (this is what i use and they pretty much play on everything i throw them at) you can call supermediastore and get samples to try them out before you buy some. heres a link

http://www.supermediastore.com/medi...ermediastore&gclid=CLzqzpDB94UCFRd9NAodvxEjvQ

1-626-363-1490

your other choice is to get a different dvd player. BTW how old is that Samsung?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Imacreep

Imacreep Member

Trying to figure what is the problem, if is the media, burner or vista is driving me crazy. I just finish to burn like I say the same DVD image iso file using the same TDK DVD-R disc but in a mac, and this one works perfectly in the player. The player is not that old. Less than a year. Its a Home theater system. the same thing happens when I play the disc in my xbox.

15. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

it could be a software conflit with Vista

I would still try the Taiyo Yuden DVDs

the TDK will code out as CMC mag most likley which is poor media

16. slugfuk

slugfuk Guest

@ imacreep..

I saw the magic word dell and just wondered if this might have a little to do with it.. I know it's probably not the same model drive but.. it's a dell... and the quote is from a vista burning problems topic which sounds very similar to yours

comments??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2007
  17. henryting

henryting Regular member

My advise to all is that still stick with xp if you want successful burn. Vista does have a compatiability differences with older software.
    and older software is always safer to use. Like nero 8 and ner0 7.
    Nero 8 still got a lot bugs in it.... stick with older programme to play safe rather be sorry... I used vista before and I really experience the flustration when I used vista as a operating system.
    The stupid vista need a lot RAM to work. Only good to look at and compare with xp not much differences. Only people with big brain with use xp and people who used vista are because they are pretty to look at. Nothing different between xp and vista the only differences are pretty to look at... this is one of the way or rather gimmick the big guys like bill gates like to play with to make you pay and pay until you broke.

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

yeah theres problems with nero8 i would stick with nero7 for the time being

19. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

@henryting speaks truth

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007