1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

If you use good media, and store your discs in a dry, cool, dark place, there is no reason your discs shouldn't last 4-5 years, or even longer. I have some movies on crappy media that stopped playing within 6 months! My Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim Backups have lasted going on 2 and a half years. I am sure that they will last much longer.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i was wanting to know if you can put more than 1 movie on a disc? i have a few 90 minute movies for my sons and would like to put a couple on 1 disc is this possiable and if so is there a guide to do it?? thanks

3. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

@cincyrob http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/guides.htm use this link and use dvdshrink as you can re-author a dvd compilation (granted you won't have a working menu) to add more than 1 movie to a dvd. keep in mind that the more you add to a dvd, the more compression thus may result in a loss of quality.

If you are interested in making menus from your dvdshrink project I suggestg using nero vision express. good luck.

4. anomolli

anomolli Member

Thanks for the advice, i will keep just the iso's if i keep any files at all.
    Being new to all this, unfortunately i've already purchased a whole spindle of what i'm hearing through aD isn't all that reliable after a few years. I know i should just chalk up my losses to experience, but the cheapy in me just cringes. :)

5. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

LOL. But think of this... How much more expensive will it be to back up your entire library? A whole lot more than just using good media to start with!!

Food for thought.

6. 923blue

923blue Member

Hello all. Great site and what a wonderful resource. To those of you that answer questions, post guides and help us newbies out, I tip my hat and thank you.

I am a computer novice and have been burning for about two years, first using the ripoff DVD Cloner programs with initial to dwindling successes and more recently with AnyDVD and CloneDVD with great succes. My burn's have always taken about 1.5 hours and this is still the case even though I have a better drive in place and different software.

After researching the site, I found out that the settings for my drive were locked in PIO mode instead of DMA. I followed guides on changing PIO to DMA and reinstalling the dvd drive and a host of other things, including jumping into the registry which I can asure you I am not qualified to do, but a rip and burn on my internal matshita uj-846S still takes between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. The secondary channel, lower box device says that PIO is the only mode available.

I've turned off norton, firewalls, the internet all to no avail - nothing has helped to solve the problem. My computer is spyware and adware free and i regularly update on windows update.

Specs: windows xp pro service pack 2; 80GB HDD (50 free); matshita uj- 846S; anydvd in the background; clone dvd 2.

I would appreciate any feedback one of you Gurus of DVD burning could give or directions to a guide of some sort.

My computer company finally sent me a replacement for there earlier drive 2 months later - hence why I purchased the useless UJ-846S that I want help with - a Matshita UJ-840D and it works great and shows up in DMA mode. However, I still want to use the other drive because it's new and supposed to be an improvement on the other drives. As soon as I swap the twi I have, the performance degrades. I thought these components were automatically recognized by Windows. The tech guy at the store where I purchased my new and apparently worthless drive said that there is nothing wrong with the drive, it has to do with windows. I'm not languishing here but I should have two working drives and it tees me off to feel short changed but whatever, maybe now i'm venting.

Anyhoo, any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  7. volcomfag

volcomfag Member

Ill like to apalogize now if these questions have already been asked but...I got an iPod video and Im trying to find the right way to burn my dvds to the right format onto my computer. I have the program DVD Decrypter version 3.5.4.0, but it writes my videos onto the computer as a .VOB format. Does anyone know how to convert this or maybe change the settings on the program. Im primitive with this stuff so sorry if I sound dumb, so if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it

8. dbundle

dbundle Guest

If repeat questions bother you that much, you need to get a life.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

How about we not get personal ;)

10. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

There are a lot of us who want to learn how to do things but don't know enough to be able to do a search to find the correct information. If you don't know the proper terms and you're not sure how to ask you could be here forever looking for the information. Most forums are very helpful and if you ask something that has already been asked hundreds of times and they don't feel like going over all of that info again they point you in the right direction without discouraging you from asking.
    I have read and re-read some of the post that are suppose to be instructions and it was all Greek to me. I was happy that I was able to get help from people who didn't mind and seemed very willing to share their knowledge in a language I could understand. We're not all computer swavy like some of you are.
    I appreciate every bit of help I've been able to get from these forums and without being put down because of asking.
    I have recommended this site to numberous friends and people I've met online and they've been able to get the answeres to most of their questions too.
    Keep up the good work and keep this going so we know where to get help with all of this 'Greek' stuff.
    Thanks again. Linda

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Most of don't mind answering the repetative questions Linda, I don't mind so ask away and ignore the ones who give out a hard time. Welcome to AD, have a good time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  12. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

Thanks. I do have a questions that has been asked thousands of times and I do apologize for asking 'again'.
    I have been reading as much as possible about the software to 'copy' DVD's. I'm pretty sure most of the posts are opinions from users but they seem to disagree as to which software is the overall best. I'd like to know if there is any way to actualy tell which software is the best, easiest and does the complete job without having to have several different programs. I have looked at many advertisements for products which hasn't helped me make a decision. They seem to all boast about their product, which they have to do to sell it. I've looked at some comparison guides but they're probably prepared by the companies who make the product listed as #1. I know there are lots of people who have had to buy many different programs in order to find the right one for them. I'm trying to avoid this as my husband and I are in our 60's and live on a fixed income. I don't have the means to buy several different products. The one I buy has to do the job. If anyone knows of a 'GOOD' program that is easy to use, can copy 'ANY and ALL' DVD's store bought or home made please let me know. I've started to place an order a couple of times and then changed my mind because I was so confused.
    I'm sorry I find this so difficult but I've read about a program that is a copy of another program that was rated very high and then this company stole the name and was selling their inferior product under the same name. I thought I understood which product that was so I could avoid this deception but then the product name got confusing once I got to the sites where I was going to place an order from.
    Give me some help chosing a good program please. Thanks in advance.
    Linda

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

There are many different programs that will do the job, both free and pay. Do not be mislead by sw companies boasting that there program is number one, it more than likely is not. If you are looking for free programs that will do it then try DVDFab Decrypter it will do all the newer encryptions although sometimes it needs a little help from VobBlanker, along with DVDShrink to compress, which will autoburn with Nero 6.6.0.18 or below, if you have higher you will need to manually burn. You can also use the free programs DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn to do this although they only burn iso files and you must save your output in that form. Guides and sw here

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/backup with DVDFABDecrypter,Shrink,&Decrypter.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/software.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/burn with nero.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/BACKUP WITH SHRINK.pdf

If it is pay program you want then the best is AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 available from http://www.slysoft.com AnyDVD will run in the background to break the encryption and CloneDVD2 will compress and burn your file. They are easy, user friendly and are well supported. They also have a free 21 day trial so you can try them before you buy them. The trial is fully functional.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  14. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I agree that the combo of AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 from Slysoft is the best paid suite... If it's free that you want, look into RipIt4Me's front-end integration of truly revolutionary freeware.

15. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

I thank you for the information on the free program RipIt4Me. I did go to their site and tried to download the program. Right off the bat I ran into problems because it asked me for a 'path'. I don't know how to do all of that. If it doesn't do it automatically then I can't do it. I also went to their forum to see if there was information on this. Oh my gosh, thair forum is so hard to read. I decided that I would probably be better off with buying the programs needed to do this. I am not very good with knowing where to put things that need paths or how to go about it so maybe the programs I have to buy will self install.
    I do thank you for that information though.

16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

17. saracens

saracens Guest

do you have movies on which we could download. just for entertainment purposes, for the couch potatoes like me if its ok
    i guarrantee i wont distribute

thanks

my profile i'manidiot@.com edited by ddp
    to activate and view,sign-up i'manidiot@.com edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2006
  18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

We don't distribute or offer movies for DL at AD and please remove your email addresses. It is against forum rules.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

saracens, lightning struck!!

20. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member