1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. fgreco

fgreco Member

thanks scuba and bigorante that help alot but, now my dvd drive wont read -r disks so I need to get firmware do any of you know the best place for this and how to install it. thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi fgreco,

Yes, Firmware would be my first step -

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance - When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Hope that helps,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  3. fgreco

fgreco Member

If I download it once the free trial is over will I still be able to burn.

that link TRY THIS LITTLE TOOL I FOUND isnt working right now I will check that out tomarrow. Also I have a hewlitt packard so would my dvd brand be HP or another I tried to check but, I can not come up with any other brand that it can be. thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  5. fgreco

fgreco Member

I was just excited I wanted you to get the post to help. Ok if you dont want me here I will leave.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok, I sorry I didn't understand - By answering you in one post you got excited and started another - it's a good thing you didn't get more excited, I don't think I could have kept up answering your threads as you can open them faster than I can get to them.

I'm tired now and "m going to bed, I suggest you open 3 or 4 more threads so that I'll have something to do when I wake up.

Oooohhh yes, I forgot my manners, Thank you so much for providing me with something to do - without you, my life would be meaningless -

"G'nite -

PS Don't forget to write and, thanks again -

7. fgreco

fgreco Member

Iam sorry for all the stress I put you threw. I didnt have to write any more threads because I am going to take you up on your advice and buy the rite media. I will buy dvd +r disks.

thanks for all you support and I will come back for further questions. thanks agian.

8. mace71299

mace71299 Guest

Just want to send a thanks to scubapete for the guide.Just started using shrink and decrypter and your guide made it so easy.Following your guide so far 5 backups 0 coasters.Thanks.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

CONGRATS there mace71299, Way to go . . . .

SEASONS GREETINGS :)

Pete

10. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and have found it to be a wealth of information. The glossary, and advice on this site is truly amazing.

I needed help with my personal DVD backups, and I did not have to ask a single question. ALL MY QUESTIONS WERE SOLVED JUST BY READING YOUR POSTS!!!

So with that in mind, I wish to extend my personal gratitude to 3 of afterdawns members.

BigOrange
    BroBear
    ScubaPete

You all have been of extreme help to me, and I just wanted to say thanks. Especially to ScubaPete, as your posts were EXTREMELY detailed and articulate.

Anyway, Thanks again! I think I'm hooked on this site.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I would like to say thanx back at ya. Most never bother to read the threads, they just ask away!

CONGRATS!(if you ever do have a question, don't hesitate) Merry Xmas!

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well thankie there JXP2307, I'm glad you stopped in -

I hope you know that you're welcome here even if you haven't a problem. LQQk around, check out some of the threads - You'll be surprised at the information you can garner.

Information on "tricks" to get your PC humming faster, settings for your programs, new programs, some for free - some for trial that may save you time - warnings on hardware, S/w or media that might head off headaches for you in the future.

You can make friends here, enjoy helping others - Though you may not feel that you know enough now to contribute, reading threads will add to your knowledge base in no time. Head to the "Safety Valve" forum and chat about any topic under the sun OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We'll be lQQking for you -

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a cool one and answering questions - feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" -

'till then,

SEASONS GREETINGS, :D)

Pete

13. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Hello y'all!

Got a quick question for you. Have you guys any knowledge about Roxio?

My question is, does Roxio conflict with Nero?

Would Roxio cause Nero not to burn properly?

Just curious.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi JXP2307, welcome to aD,

Yep, it sure does !

Absolutely !

Here's a guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

"WHOAH there partner, I didn't say I wanted to get rid of Nero ~" No, you didn't. BUT if you had Nero on your PC along with Roxio then Nero almost assuredly has a corrupted file or 3. Just in case, so matters don't go "downhill," let's get everything up and running and in perfect shape. To do so, let's do a "CLEAN UNINSTALL" with Nero and then install it in perfect condition.

You say you have Roxio. Roxio is, IMO, the worst program you can have on your PC if you wish to work with DVD Video. It does it's best to trash almost every other DVD backup proggy there is except DVD Shrink. One extremely good program, Nero, is one that Roxio messes with the most. True there are a very few pple who have them both on their PC BUT by far, the vast majority of pple who have had them both on their PC's have had major headaches and have had to get rid of Roxio. As I'm sure any search through our threads will show you it's a wise decision. Even getting rid of Roxio is a problem as it weaves itself all through your system and you require a special proggy to get rid of it even after you've uninstalled it.

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator or one of his henchmen.

The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -
    Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.htm

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN, WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Now let's see how we do -

Pete

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

MOST DEFINITELY!! In fact Roxio is known to conflict with all other DVD software, but especially Nero. If you are having problems do a clean uninstall and use this tool(Roxio also doesn't like to be removed, besides not playing well with others)

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

crap!!! slow on the keys,LOL

Merry Xmas Pete!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  16. smg

smg Regular member

I know my Win XP has Roxio in it, but can't find it listed in ADD/REMOVE. I downloaded the tool zapper60.
    Will since Roxio isn't anywhere in ADD/REMOVE, will zapper60 be able to completely remove it?
    Thank you
    Smg

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi smg,

No it won't. It is to remove leftover pieces of Foxio.

To find Roxio - Go to "Start' then to "Search" the click on "all files and folders" type in "Roxio" and then "Search".

When it "Pop's" up you'll then have it's address one at a time go to where ever it's listed and Delete it. When all is done, run the "zapper". There is still some there but not enough to hamper Nero or the others.

Pete

PS. Did you so to "Start" "All Programs" and look there ?

18. Nihilator

Nihilator Guest

Hi everyone, my name is Mike and I'm a complete idiot.
    Sorry to disappoint Pete, but I did read through all the forums before getting started. I used ev ey program and every combination there of. Seems that I refused to believe the DVD is was trying to copy could be bad. IT WAS. Well the only smart thing I did was usze the DVD RW's because I remember my CD days.

Ibought my internal DVD writer for a machine running on a
    AMD KX-2 450, yeah I know it's not the minimum requirements but it *should work* I've locked up several times, but that's okay, that happened with my old drive.

Went out and bought an external burner for my laptop b/c I have the min HW requirements EXCEP that I do not have 2.0 USB ports. So, now I have successfully burned
    two DVD's on both my computers, and the old machine is faster because of my slow USB ports. Man, what a couple of days.

I have also used 1clickdvd, some may have usedc it, what did you think? Couldn't use it on my old PC b/c I am running Win 98.

The two most important things for all you newbies, 1) make sure you have tried several different source DVD's, had I done that, I would have saved 24 hours. 2) use RW's. A must.

One last question does `any body recommend the best way to burn my rw's to DVD-R's so I can use my RW's for storage.

Thanks everyone, another success story.

Oh, and if you think you need to close all your programs and burn while away from your computer, nah, you don't always have to do that. I'm successfully burning a DVD right now as I'm online writing this message. (ducking>

Hapy Holidays everyone!

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Nihilator and welcome on this Christmas Day,

As we speak to quite a number of pple running all kinds of PC's we'd rather make sure they got a perfect burn than take any chances on failure. Someone running a Pent III with 128 MB of RAM would find it all but impossible to burn a DVD AND make a successful burn w/o disabling everything and "STEPPING AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER." I have one friend who cannot even use Word without his PC freezing :(

To quote you, "you don't always have to do that.". True, you don't always have to do it BUT you won't know when to do it until you've made a coaster and are on your second time :(

Please recognize that when we post here there are 10, 20 or 30+ more pple reading what we wrote. When making a comment, take all of them into account and wonder, If I tell them they can surf the "Net", play their MP3's and print up a few labels while they're burning, just how many of them would find that possible and how many, after making a coaster, will think, "I should be able to do this, I saw it on aD, what is wrong with my burner or my software ?" So you see why we say, IF you want to make a good burn, "don't use your PC for anything." When we make that statement, everyone will make a trouble free backup.

I trust that you'll understand a bit better now :)

As I'm sure you'll have to agree, no one reads through all the forums - there over 400,000 posts here. As long as someone reads through a few of them, tries to find the answer doing just a single a/D "Search," that's all we ask - for the many that do, we say "Welcome." To those who say, "I have other things to do, do it all for me." Those are the ones we have trouble with. Were this a "paying" job, that would be one thing BUT to tell pple, here on their own free time, that they won't do anything on their own, they'll not make friends here. The days of slavery are done.

You'll notice I "Welcomed" you to aD. It was because it was obvious that you have "Done for yourself," Just like the rest of use have -

We are delighted you're doing well, and iffin you need some help, PLEASE stop back, Heck, stop back anyway, you're our kind of pple -

Merry Christmas -

Pete

20. Nihilator

Nihilator Guest

Ummm I already pissed off Pete. I was sorta, well I was joking when I said I'm burning a DVD as I type. I see how that could have touched a nerve. I was not burning anything when I wrote that. I just know that with practice and time, I hope to be burning DVD's just like CD's while goofing around online. Not there yet.

Would it help If I told you how many days/hours it took to make my first DVD Copy? :(

I hope everybody takes Pete's advice, when dealing with all the paremeters involved, please don't come in hear and say "well I was trying to copy my DVD, and while playing (insert favorate game here) I had read errors everywhere!" KISS=my plan, oh and Murpy was an optimist. :)

Pete, to show you I am still a newbie, I just today got rid of all the Roxio crap, and will be using Nero. However I have successfully burned a few today with dvd shrink and DVD decryptor. Once I am confidant I have that down, will I experiment with other software.

This is how dumb I am. I have burned DVD'd to rw's, as I said, but having read more, I can't copy them to DVD-R's because I bought 50 MEMORIX!!!! I will get better media. I'm just not real sure what the best way to copy my DVD on XR to a DVD-R without having to experiment and make coasters out of the new more expensive media I will get.

Sorry if I offended anyone. That post almost sounded like I was bragging, man, that was not the idea! :(