1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dogs, opinions wanted on different breeds.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by darthnip, Apr 30, 2005.

1. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

ok i want an Akita, but Mrs. Darth isn't so sure about it and is kinda leaning towards a siberian husky. i dont want some little lapdog that i could kill by stepping on it, but i also dont want a horse sized dog either. any opinions?

2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Staffordshire Bull Terrier-great with kids, but would fight an Elephant to the death if required.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Golden retriever or labrador are good picks, they are not to large good with kids and and will bond with more than one person. They mature at about 18 months and train well. With the labrador you will not have to groom, a bath now and then will do it. I have a horse, a 130 pound german shepherd who did not mature until after two and we had a hard time training, plus this breed can be overly protective, but when matured and trained is great dog.

4. duckhead

duckhead Member

the Akita and huskey are horses.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

A big dog in a little dog's body is a West Highland Terrier. They are not lap dogs by any means, very intelligent with strong but sweet personalities. For the last 15 plus years I’ve had Westie’s, one that just passed after 14 plus years, one that is over 15 years now and two from Westie Rescue that are 7 and 6 years old. Prior I’ve had a White German Shepard and also a Doberman Pincher, both of which had strong but sweet personalities.

My friend just lost his Akita, “Sosha.” She was a great dog and very hyper. She was crate trained and loved her crate, safe zone. If it’s between the Akita or Husky, I’d go with the Akita, but I will never have any other breed but a Westie.

6. darthnip

Duckhead - the Akita might be considered a "horse" but not the husky in my opinion. The siberian husky male tops out between 60-70 pounds, and the akita can get upwards of 130 pounds. Everything i have been reading (and it has been alot) indicates that the husky is even smaller than your average german shepard. I know i said i dont want a horse sized dog, but the akita's qualities would outweigh the size around here at my house. if it were strictly up to me, i would get an Akita without hesitation, but i'm trying to be nice and do the right thing and let my wife also have a say in this since she will have to help with the care of the dog. I guess i could reprase that and say i'm really trying to be fair to the dog. I dont want to get something that i am the only one brave enough ot go around or care for. I need a companion for the family, kids, and the wife. I need a dog to go fishing with me, go for walks with the kids down to the park, etc, etc. i've sat and looked at every breed the AKC acknowledges over and over and over, and the Akita is the one i'm leaning towards. I've studied their habits, care requirements, and everything else i can learn, and it just seems like the right dog for me. when making this thread I was kinda hoping to draw out a few akita owners, or some akita neighbors so i could get an opinion of the dogs lifestyle. I know every dog is different so one persons story cant be a template for all others, but i'm looking for any and all info i can get.

thanks to all for responding, it's about time we had another dog thread going. Peoiple that dont have dogs just dont realize how important these creatures are to their owners. my mother has a little lap dog furrball thingy, but i honestly think it's her best friend and she'd die without, even if it is a furry little mop with legs :)

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

my choice.....
    [​IMG]

very protective, highly trainable, loving, and smart. They do tend to be one person dogs, but always look after the whole "herd". Working with everyone in family helps to overcome the one person aspect. females average about 45lbs and males about 10 more than that....

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have a Chesapeake and really like her. I also have a 12 year old Golden Retriever and many other breeds, mix. lol I like her, too.

Both are as gentle as can be with our grandkids.

10. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

Golden Retriever is the best dog in the world hands down and i should know this cause i am a dog (theoritecly a "Doggy")...Dogs to avoid: Dobermans, Bulldogs, AND MOST CERTAINLY PITBULLS!!!!!! goldens are smart playful and are great with children! PS: I have a cute little golden retriever named Fenton ;-) we just came back from the park!

11. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

A boxer is pretty cool to have,want my dog Darth.I would give him away but my fam won't let me hahaha lol j/k.Sorry more of a cat person to be honest,pretty clean and keep to themselves most of the time.

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I will say this though don't be fooled into getting a big dog man,stick to the little dogs alright man.They are easier to train,and the females are alot smarter than the males.The males are hard as hell to train or that just might be my own opinion.

13. darthnip

i've always had the best luck with the bigger breeds. my mom used to always have poodles and stuff when i was a kid, i hated the damn things. not that they aren't good dogs, i just didn't care for them. And i cant agree that all pit bulls are bad, i had one for 7 years that was one of the nicest, most well behaved, and protective dogs I've ever had. She put my rottie to shame, but he was slightly retarded i think lol.

14. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

HaHa Funny...

15. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

I have to say a Bernier Mountain dog is not bad but it is huge

16. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I gotta agree with arniebear and Doggy_Bot...retrievers are probably one of the best breeds ever. My last dog was a Golden Retriever...phenomenal companion. My new dog is almost 2, I rescued him from a shelter about a year ago. He's a flat-coat retriever (basically same thing as a golden, just with black hair.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. philipman

philipman Regular member

Golden labs are very fun dogs my friend has got one.

18. darthnip

yes i agree they are great dogs, i've known quite a few. i'm just not a lab person i guess, even though i like them, i dont think i'd ever own one. who knows, maybe some day i'll change my mind but right now i want something in the snow dog family (akita, husky, malamute, etc).

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm honestly not a fan of labs. labs are not quite the same as goldens or flat coats, but they are similar and under the retriever catagory. From what I've read, labs are usually the most inbred of retrievers, and goldens are usually more intelligent. but no offense to anyone who has labs, they are great dogs, thats just what I've read. You can't go wrong with a retriever. I take Indie for a walk to the park everyday to through the ball for 20 minutes, and he's as happy as a clam. I wished I lived on a farm or in the forrest somewhere (not really tbough) because he'd make a superb hunting dog.

20. Mbrock

Mbrock Member

I highly recommend the weiner dog

[​IMG]