1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing something wrong with .rar file

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by doc123, Dec 28, 2004.

1. doc123

doc123 Member

From what i have read on the forum about .rar files i have tried to back up a game but failed many times. It came with about 24 rar files form .rar, .r00,.r01 and so on. And from what i understand i am to
    1) extract the .rar file which gives me a compressed iso file
    2) i extract the iso file
    3) i burn the that file along with all the other compressed rar files?
    Hopefully i don't sound too dumb, Please help me out

2. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

an iso is a cd image, it basically is all the information on a cd or dvd, but instead of being on a disk its on your hard drive. a rar is a compressed file, usually its actually several files. what you need to do is open the rar file in winrar and it should show an iso. now extract the iso file to a place on your hard drive. after that you need to use your burning program like nero or alcohol 120% and you choose "burn image" and select the iso.

3. doc123

doc123 Member

thanks for the help. But it still doesn't seem to be working. Well when i use nero to burn image theres no option for iso it just uses (data mode 1) and when i tried the trial alcohal 120 they have on this website it seems to be missing something as i can only burn in mds or something. Also my iso file that i extracted is still a rar type file is that where my error is or am i just burning it wrong. Please give me a hand thanks

4. doc123

doc123 Member

oh and since i wasted so many dvds i started using rw can the ps2 read rws?

5. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

you should have a bunch of small files(probably 50MB or so each). if you open the first one that ends in .rar it should have an iso image, and you can extract that to some location. if you use those small rars to extract another rar, then you need to extract that again until you get an iso.

once you have the iso open alcohol 120%. choose image burning wizard. then browse to the folder you have the iso image in. then in the little pull down window that says file types, go to the bottom and do "standard iso image" and you should be good to go. if you want to use nero you can use nero express and burn image. make sure to change file type to the one that says iso also.

as for rw...no. you can try and burn an rw just to see if it will burn successfully, but your ps2 wont be able to read it. so maybe just test it out on rw and if you get everything to go smoothly then use a dvd-r.

i assume if it "came with about 24 rar files" that this is a version you downloaded after not being able to back your copy up?...since it wouldnt make sense to convert your own image to rar files just to make a back up. out of curiousity what game is it?

6. doc123

doc123 Member

lol its athens 2004
    i can't beleive i am having so much trouble. i am contemplating getting one of those programs where u can salvage the information from a scratched dvd, thats probably gonna be more work though.
    So this trial version of alcohol should work? or do u recommend i get the real one Since when i burn with nero 6, when i load the game on the ps2 the stupid red screen comes up
    thanks nachoguy

7. nachoguy

nachoguy Member

ive never had success with salvaging a bad cd or dvd. i dont know if you can use the trial version or the real version.

8. doc123

doc123 Member

yeh i think i'm gonna have to get the real version of alcohol because the trial only allows me to burn in mds