1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

done some research now ready for some questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sunup, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sunup

sunup Regular member

OK! Here we go, I am burning with a bus link 8x internal.I am using DVD shrink and DVD decrypter. Media type is Memorex dvd+r 4.7gb 4x made in taiwan. My average is about 3 coasters out of 25 thats about 83% success. Should I be happy with this average? Burn speed is at max. Will I have a better success rate at a slower speed? Is DVD-R more compatable with stand alone players than DVD+R. More questions soon to come. Thank You!

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ok, say it together with me.

1, 2, 3, MEMOREX IS CRAP!!!!!!!!

You should NOT be happy with your success rate. There is one and only one culprit here. Its your media. Buy decent media and you'll never have this problem again. Continue using this crap and continue wasting your time. Go for Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim datalife plus.

I've burned more than 100 Taiyo Yuden 8x disks at 12x or 16x. Flawless as always.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

edited.. because my answer was identical to Balaam,and hes a faster typer LOL
    One question that wasnt answered was the compatibilty thing...the answer is..yes dvd-r's will play in the older dvd players, while the +r sometimes wont...and the new players will play both so the -r are a bit more compatible.

4. asystole

asystole Member

i have had only 5 coasters with burning over 150 thus far using dvd shrink or dvd decrypter, 3 were media and two mine. i have used the Memorex r- mostly but use r+ at times, prefer verbatim digital movie r- or ritek GO5 8x r- mostly though..Yes most US dvd players will play dvd r- , alot play both. So go buy a five pack dvd r- and try them first before going out buying exspensive media. becuase unless your using high definition tv you wont see any real difference

5. sunup

sunup Regular member

1 2 3 Memorex is chrap Repeated over and over to self OK It finally sunk in. Thanks Help lots of other questions in first post.

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If youve been stuck with a bunch of memorex, and you dont want to throw them out.Reduce your burning speed to 2x, and reduce your dvd target size in dvd shrink to around 4300, so your not writting on the outer edge of the disc, where the cheaper media will sometimes fail.

7. sunup

sunup Regular member

memorex or not do I still want to lower my burn speed?

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

If your using good media,you should at least be able to burn at 4x, if your media supports it.
    I personally never burn any faster than 4x, altho some do with no problems.

9. sunup

sunup Regular member

Ive been burning at max . I dont know what you mean by problem?

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

The faster you burn the more susceptible you are to write errors,especially with cheap media.

11. sunup

sunup Regular member

Thank You Jim Dandy I have learned a lot today. I will contribute as soon as I think I can help.