1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donnie Darko & Shrink 3.1.4

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by WelshBoa, Feb 4, 2004.

1. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

It may just be this particular film or it may just be me! In the past I have just used automatic compression with Shrink but as the DD DVD has so many extra's I decided to re-author it.

I read Chris McCann's guide which was very informative but to get over 70% quality I had to get rid of all the extras.

I wanted to keep the scene selection part though, but I found I could not reduce this to less than 54%. Is there any reason why you can't take it lower than that as its only still images so a waste really.

Anyway, I thought (and still do) think that I set it up right so all the scene selection files were first on the DVD and then the "main movie".

I burnt it using Nero and when I put the DVD in, the main screen comes up with the options (scene selection, main movie etc) but no button on the remote operates the "play movie" or the "scene selection" properly. It just skips forwards on the screen but you can't play or enter any particular scene as the *hand* image comes up in the top right hand corner which on my DVD means not allowed or whatever.

Anyway thinking it was a waste of a disk, I opened it up then re-closed the drawer and this time it booted straight into the movie.

As there are so many extras etc on the DVD, and it was the first DVD I re-authored it is possible I mucked up but wonder if anyone has any ideas what else may have gone wrong.

And I also find the newer versions of Shrink much slower.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Welshboa, If I read your post right, you didn't do anything wrong. Anytime you use the re-author feature in Shrink, the menu becomes inactive and plays like a video clip. Its just the way it works. To keep the menu working, you have to click backup without using re-author . You can change the compression ratio on the menu and extras to help get a better quality movie. Example--click the menu line---then click auto compression and change to ratio. You will get a slider bar you can adjust. Slide down to about 50%. Repeat with all extras and main movie should get better compression rate. When done, click backup.
    Jerry

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi WelshBoa,

Even though you left the menu intact, by removing the extras, the structure of the DVD was changed, leaving the menu inoperable.

When I was using Shrink 3.0b5 I would apply the maximum amount of compression avalible using the "ratio" feature to the menu and the extras. I'm still experimenting with Shrink 3.1.4 and it appears that doing the same thing using "custom ratio" may alter the structure and prevent the menu from working.

Applying a lot of compression to a menu is usually not needed as they are usually quite small. Some movies (i.e. The Fast and the Furious) have a large menu that needs compressed or just removed for a maim movie only burn.

Applying "still Pictures" or replacing the extras with a "filler" is another way to approach this. At this point though, I would just burn the main title.

Cheers,
    Frank

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Jerry,
    I maxed the compression on a movie menu and the dang thing locked up when I selected "play Movie". Maybe my cheap DVD player didn't care for that much compression. Haven't really played around with it enough to have a definitive answer yet, besides I can get it to work, by messing around with the remote.
    I really don't need another copy of the movie! Copys made using less than maximum avalible compression work just fine.

Heres something fun I'm trying...You know that THX intro with the swelling sound? There is a funny vesion of it in the movie Toy Story. Its fun to stick that in as the first played title in movies that I have removed the menu and extras. I have the room on the disc with that stuff gone so why not?
    I just make a clip with Shrink of whatever and store it on my external HD.
    Adios,
    Frank

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

HI Frank, How far did you compress that menu that locked up. I try not to go past 50% on the menu and extras. Just wondering for my mental notebook.

That trick with the THX clip sounds good. There's things I want to try but never seem to have the time I need. I do most of this on the forum from work. Then a few minutes at home at night.
    Jerry

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Jerry,
    I just slid the slider as far to the left as it would go. LOL, I think it was at 49% or less.
    Just because ya can doesn't mean ya should I suppose. I did assume that the upper limit Shrink set using custom ratio was a workable number. Still haven't reburned it to test to see if that was the problem though.

Cheers,
    Frank

7. mrbass

mrbass Member

dvdshrink himself says dvdshrink compression sucks at 50% so I'd avoid it. The lowest I've gone is 58% and that was for some TV episodic dvds.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi mrbass, I try not to compress the main movie below 65%. Frank and I were talking about adjusting the compression ratio on the menu and extra junk low enough to get the main movie up to a good level without re-authoring to remove items. Thats the only way you can adjust items in Shrink and keep the menu active and working. Your comment is correct.
    Jerry

9. mrbass

mrbass Member

sorry not use to this forum...ok just look above..this was the quote I was address as to why it didn't go below 54%, etc.

Anyway, the options to remove junk, etc. while retaining menus are menuedit $9, dvdstripper.com free, or titlesetter free. Or just use recode2 or elby clonedvd.

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

No problem mrbass. Thats what this forum is all about. I do use CloneDVD with AnyDVD when I want to edit extras and trailers and keep the menu active. I don't know why MR SHRINK never added that feature. Its still a great program and the price is right.
    Jerry