1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't buy fron Comet

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yellows11, Sep 17, 2007.

1. yellows11

yellows11 Member

Hi my dads getting on a bit and is nearly house bound and he wanted a new tv so i went and got him a philips 42 lcd from comet the first one went wrong after 22 days which when i rang philips they said take it back to the shop and exchanged it for a new one cos the tv was less than 30 days old which i did but he rang yesterday and said the 2nd tv as gone wrong as well and only had it 20 days so rang comet for him and they said can't exchanged it cos they need to send a engineer out to see it but i said about what's the point in that cos it's a fault that can't be fixed but they just said engingeer will be round my dad's house on thursday so as you can imagine he's not to pleased.

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Honestly.. I don't blame comet one bit for wanting to check what is going on.. 2 failures in as many months.. that's unusual unless there is something else going on like a bad wall socket or power surges. You can pretty much guarantee that either Comet or the manufacturers have found out what was faulty about the first failure.. obviously it was something to do with where it is installed or the way it is being used that has made them suspicious.. Let them check what is going on.. It's cheaper than calling out a freelance electrician to do the same. (£35 per hour +)

I'm a retired electronics engineer (City and Guilds ES6) and I would want to know what is happening with new equipment too. You say it isn't fixable... how do you know that? Have you had the back off and tested it? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  3. yellows11

yellows11 Member

When i rang philips up they told me that it is a fault that can't be fixed plus it's got nothing to do the power surges cos it's only the digital channels that don't work all i get is a blue screen with no way of accessing the digital menu the same fault with both set's

4. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Sounds like they are aware of the why and wherefore of the problem at that end then. Still no harm letting comet send the engineer. They probably have internal reasons for it.

This reminds me of the "stock fault" we used to see a lot back in my TV repair days. Faulty out of the box.. (sadly most common with UK made equipment) It sounds like maybe a bad batch that comet have there.. You can bet they will be trying to sort it out with philips behind the scenes too..

Out of interest.. what is the model number/batch number so I don't go buying one at the comet clearance auctions I attend from time to time :lol:

5. yellows11

yellows11 Member

philips 42pfl5522d

6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Thanks.. I suppose it goes without saying that anybody considering a 42" lcd tv should be a little wary of this model judging by your experiences.