1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont buy Verbatim DVD+R for backing

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by zombieman, Jun 9, 2003.

1. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

I have used just about every media out there for backing up my movies, and been successful with all of them. Until now, I purchased Verbatim DVD+R 1x-4x because it was about $5 dollars cheaper than other 5 packs. Well, now I contstantly get burn errors! As soon as i change back to me trusty Sony DVD+R media it burns without any hesitation. Anyone else had any bad experences with Verbatim?

2. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Thats the only disks that I use.. I have not had ANY trouble with them at all. Work with my XBOX and PS2 and home dvd player..

Matt

3. ABMone

ABMone Guest

I have used verbatim many times and loved it.

worked great every time in dvd player and ps2

FLAWLESS

4. Tosca

Tosca Guest

What burner are you using?

I never tried Verbatim DVD+Rs but their DVD-Rs don't work too well with a sony DRU 500AX. 1 out of 4 burns correctly, otherwise you get errors.

5. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

Hmmm, I have the exact DVD burner that you do, Sony DRU-500AX. I love it, but maybe that is the problem?

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I have the same drive as you guys. I dont have any trouble with mine at all. Sounds like I am pretty lucky

Matt

7. Tosca

Tosca Guest

It might be the burning program. I use nero 5.5.10

or it might be the firmware...
    I believe I have 2.0f (or whatever was the latest one out)

8. ejm

ejm Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2003
  9. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

Ditto, I have tried Verbatim 2.4x and 4x DVD+R, Verbatim 2.4 DVD+RW, Fuji 2.4x DVD+R, and TDK 2X DVD-R. I also tried some generic media from yesbuy.net but that didn't work at all in the Sony 500AX.

Nero 5.5.10.34 (also tried above with Easy CD Creator 5.3.x) -- recently "upgraded" to Nero. Certainly a geekier program (which is good).

10. boriqua

boriqua Guest

I haven't had a single problem with Verbatim DVD+R DataLifePlus. I test all my movies on a PS2, and no prob. I had some skips with Verbatim DataLife. Don't know what the difference is, except for the appearance. The skips in the movie are noticeable on the PS2 because it has a crapy laser. They wouldn't be noticeable on a fine DVD Player. I burn them on Philips DVD+RW228 w/RecordNow Max.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Verbatim tend to be more reliable than a lot of the Datawrites and Bulkpaqs and their equivalents. If you don't want us buying Verbatim, what do you suggest. Traxdata is always a good bet with the Ritek G04 dye.

12. Excal

Excal Guest

Have used Verbatim to burn 100+ DVD movies and 50+ Xbox backup games. Have yet to find anything that they do not play in, that includes DVD movies in both Xbox and PS2 as well as my standalone and computer player.

13. sethk

sethk Member

Yes I've used vebatim data life plus 4x without any problem.
    Please post your DVDInfo header information here. If you don't have aDVDInfo it's a free utility and it will help you identify the real manufacturer of the discs. From what I uderstand there is more than one manufacturer for Verbatim discs, so it will be interesting to see who makes these discs.

14. bolox

bolox Member

Verbatim DataLifePlus is made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation and is excellent quality. If its Verbatim but not DataLifePlus, it could be made by someone else and might be crap.

15. jase

jase Guest

This is true.

CMC (aaaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!! if you're a veteran of the CDR forum here lol) and MBI make discs for Mitsubishi. They aren't bad, either of them, but are inferior to the proper MCC media.

In fact, even some "Datalife Plus" discs are CMC. Go figure :(

16. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

Well, nice to know that the verbatim works for alot of yall. I have tried them several times and cant even get them to burn simple data. Owell, The Very best I personally have found so far has been the IMATION DVD+Rs. I just bought a 100 pack today due to 30 outa 30 burning with no errors! Good Luck All!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  17. YYZ

YYZ Member

I have DRU-500A v1.0g and the 4x verbatim datalifes burn just fine, 5 for 5 so far, no errors at 4x speed.

Using Nero v.55107b

18. sethk

sethk Member

19. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I think it is kinda pointless to use ADVDinfo to find out what they really are. It is doubtful retailers will give you back your money for the purchase after you opened up one of the discs or removed them from a shrink wrapped spindle. What are you gonna tell 'em?

"These here dvds are made in Taiwan! They'll stare at ya as if youse crazy..."

Just avoid Verbatims if they are a prob. There are plenty of other dvds to use.

20. security

security Member