1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't own a PS3 but would like to get one and play backups, where to start?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Petries, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Petries

Petries Regular member

As stated in the title, I don't yet own a PS3 but would like to get one and be able to play backups on it, but don't know where I need to start in order to make sure I get a console that can in fact be modded to do so, and to actually go about making that happen. There seems to be a ton of info out there and I want to make sure I go about it in the best way, be that getting an older used one, or a brand new console, and what is the best way of modding if I'm only looking to play backups, homebrew would be nice but isn't required. Thanks for any help offered!

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

In order to play backups, you need a backup manager. Since all backup managers are homebrew, you need homebrew support to play backups.

Start by finding a used system with firmware 3.55 or LOWER. You might also find some new-old stock of the older models if you are willing to pay more. (the 60GB FAT is still the best version of the PS3 in terms of features offered...but they all do homebrew)

If you get a used system, make sure it starts OK and don't do any updates or anything. Once it is confirmed as a working unit, the next thing to do is to tear it down, replace the thermal compound, clean all the dust out, and add a fan controller (or set the fan to run 100%). Reassembled and then it would probably be a good idea to invest in a 500GB-1TB 2.5" hard disk to replace the stock drive.

Once your system is ready for work, then you can download a CFW and use a USB flash drive to install it onto the system.

3. busabill

busabill Regular member

how do i set the fan to run at 100%

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Depends on the model, the fat ones can be hotwired from one of the power supply wires. The thin models need a small (under $1) electronic part and a couple extra wires. Beware: a PS3 fat with the fan at full speed sounds a lot like a shop-vac.

5. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

It is going to be hard to find a 3.55 or below console now seeing as all the new ones will have 3.60 on them. There is no way to tell from the packaging, only way is to plug it in and go to the settings to find out. Or finding a bundle package which you know will be on lower firmware.

You are probably going to get better success at getting one by going to a small private store. Chain stores definitely will restock on like a weekly basis so will more than likely have 3.60 ones.
    That said, if you get from a small private store you'll have a harder time returning it as they wont want to go to all the hassle of the returns process.

Last of all, you need to own the games in order to claim them to be backups, but as we all hate $ony now I condone the piracy thrown upon them :p Apart from Assassins Creed, definitely buying that soon for the mulitplayer gaming, such a brilliant game.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. VITAL715

VITAL715 Member

So it's not possible to go back to older firmware?

Also what is the reason for replacing thermal compound/increasing fan speed etc?

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is not currently possible to downgrade from 3.56 or higher without using a soldering iron (on a lot of tiny little points on the mainboard).

The reason for the thermal compound replacement and the fan speed increase is to prevent YLODs...they seem to get more and more common every day on the older models, and almost all of them are caused by overheating. If you manage to get a new unit with firmware below 3.56, you probably don't need to do this...at least not until the factory warranty expires.

8. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

ylod mainly happens on the phat models, and if you have a phat ps3 that is out of warranty then you definitely want to replace the thermal compound, and be sure to use the more expensive stuff as it's worth it. Artic silver 5 is what I used, but I think there are a couple better ones out now.

When I opened up a phat ps3 I was surprised at how little thermal compound was on the processors. So replacing the it is a must really if you want your ps3 to live longer.

Slims are better designed but I dont think the problem is as big on slims as long as it has enough ventilation space.

atm everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat, No-One is trying to find the 3.6x keys and if they do then cfw 3.6x may be possible, so everyone with a ps3 can set their ps3 up with cfw. But No-)na has gone on vacation for 3 weeks, so hopefully in 2 months we'll find out if this is the case or not.

I am surprised that the makers of teh wiikey have not produced something for the ps3 yet, though seeing how $ony is suing everyone they may be put off

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The slims have actually started to get to the point where the failure rate is increasing already...they don't "YLOD" but it is a bricking all the same, and they can usually be fixed in the same way. The fan is smaller, the heatsinks are smaller, there is less ventilation. On top of that, the first two slim models used the same GPU as the later fat models used...but with less cooling.

10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Before reassembling it I would also drill some holes in the casing right where the fan is placed against. The whole thing is pretty much a missconstruction, placing the fan directly against the case. The easiest way to make sure it doesn't get enough air. If you plan on laying it down I would get some higher feet for it, so it isn't place directly on the table.
    I am testing additional fans at the moment on a PS3 that had the YLOD for the 2nd time atleast, got it with YLOD and traces of fixing, fixed it once with just heatgun and thermal paste replacement and had the YLOD again, now I've taken apart two of these USB cooling pads for laptops, 6 additional fans blowing cold air into the box, the system is up and running for about a month by now (not constantly, but sometimes 2 to 5 hours at once), the only thing that gets warm is the PSU, the air that gets blown out is about 25 to 30 degree celsius. When it survives 3 months without a YLOD I am going to post pictures.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

From my testing, adding fans won't help much. The heatsinks can only dissipate a certain amount of heat, and the stock 19 blade fan actually provides enough airflow that there is no detectable difference between 90% fan speed and 100% fan speed. My exhaust air never goes over 30C...just from increasing the speed of the stock fan.

You have to remember...the PS3 fat models were designed by a Sony that was losing money on every unit built...they did not want these systems dieing off because they would lose money on the replacements. Obviously this is no longer the case, and a dead PS3 is a good thing in their eyes (so long as it is out of warranty). This means that while the systems have good cooling, the firmwares that control the cooling are intentionally allowing temperatures to get too high. This is a issue on 3.55, and it seems to be a lot worse on 3.66. I've done the tests that show that speeds dropped between 3.15 and 3.55; I am not going to do 3.56+ tests until there is a downgrade route or a 3.56+ MFW, but every report I have had says that 3.66 drops fan speeds from 3.55 significantly.

12. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

I am no good at soldering, therefore I didn't increase the speed of the original fan, didn't want my PS3 to sound like a hairdrier.
    Also it really is just for testing, the guy who sold me the system scammed me by saying it just had the no-picture error and wasn't opened before (he claimed the seal was still there but forgot to mention that someone broke the pin on the faceplate, so the seal hadn't been removed while opening it). So I decided to give it a try and do the heatgun fix, worked for about two months without realy been used that much, but then failed again, did the heatgun fix again, cut some holes and aplied the extra fans now it is way cooler than before and has experienced some heavy use.

13. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member