1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't use your banned hard with a new console unless you fomat it

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Memnock, May 23, 2007.

1. Memnock

Memnock Active member

The hard drive is linked to the original console unless it's been re-formatted. The drive linked to the original console must be formated on that console. You can't re-format on another console until it's formated on the original. I found that out 1st hand today when I tried to format my old hard drive on a new console. That what told me they were linked. After formatting it can be used without fear of being banned. I've already heard from someone who was told by MS he was banned because he put his old HDD from a banned console on a new one.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

i hope not because thats what im going to do

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I know for at fact the HDD to console link is true. While I didn't have that person phone call the link thing would be enough me make me weary.

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

thats not true, i was asked if i had a console i could use my account on and was told that i could access live from a new console that i didnt have to do anything but put my hard drive on and go. unless the person i talked to was wrong (she seemed kinda dumb anyway)

5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Time's gonna tell. It's not anything I have to worry about, but if we see a bunch of bans from banned console's hard drives being on new consoles I'll definitely there were a big fat I told you so.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

and you may be right, im not saying your wrong, because the woman i talked to seem kinda stupid anyway. i just hope we can figure out whats causing these bans.

7. OMEGASA

OMEGASA Member

but all M$ said is that they were banning consoles and if you take your hard drive out and boot up the 360 and go into network config the message saying the 360 was banned is still there because they loaded it directly onto the 360 not the hard drive. Also what if you took your profile over to a friends house or get a new 360, they wont just say,"oh he found away around it and just ban you. they can tell if you have modded it now, someway or another, it has something to do with the face that they can tell if the disk is pressed or an iso, there are programs that do that.

8. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Sorry mikeismad,

I probably took my frustrations out on you a little. I posted the same thing on another forum with a bunch a little kids and well you know how little kids are. They were all banned already. I'm sure some were already using their old hard drives on new 360s and didn't want to hear it.

9. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

ha ha ha i think i just read the post your on about dude. Got to love the little kids!

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I know right. I guess they are so mad, because they got banned and couldn't deal with the thought of maybe having to buy three 360s in all. I bought another 360 like it was no thing. I'll even buy another if I have too. It'll be worth it in the end, but the hell with those kiddies. Kids will be kids until they grow up. Still thanks for the support over there shinnster.

11. DodgeM4s

DodgeM4s Member

Thanks for the warning i never would have thought about it. Im not banned yet though (i have a chip) but if i do get banned its good to know these things.

12. addflash

addflash Member

What about power bricks,can we use the banned consoles power brick with new 360?

13. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, that has ntohing to do with the console.

14. addflash

addflash Member

Lesson learnt.I bought new 360 today.I'll never ever open this piece.Although i keep moded one with me for back up games or copy to check them if the games are good then i'll buy originals.Thats it

15. dreck

dreck Member

I Have 2 360's and have swapped hard drives many times with no issues. However they are now both banned. I plan to get a new core and use my hard drive on that one. I called Gamestop and they said they have pre-formatted used hard-drives for $80 and said it would work fine with no serial number to be entered. They could be wrong, but I am concerned about the game saves being "tainted" seeing as they came from backups. It would just really suck if I hooked my hard drive up to a friends 360 and then he got banned. Might explain unmodded consoles getting banned. Also concerned about putting the saves on a memory unit for the same reason. Who knows how far M$ will go to stop this. I plan on getting my core Fri or Sat, will check here for results from other people.

16. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

My local Eb games is taking in banned 360s. They are saying that they will give us $200 for just the console. Then they will refurbish it, and sell it as a used console.

17. Memnock

Memnock Active member

If they are formatted they'll be fine. Those who been banned just threw their old hard drive on there without formatting. You can always check see if it's really formatted buy formatting it again after you put it on on your new 360. I wouldn't worry about gamesaves being tainted either.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You can transfer your acc to another console but will not be able to use both consoles on live at the same time as you only have 1 sub (transfer is by mem card ??).

19. jonbest

jonbest Member

All sounds like hearsay at the minute. You would have thought that by now there would be a lot more reports of this if it was a common issue.

There is no way i'm formatting my HD. Its got loads of maps and content that i've paid for!!

Hopefully this is wrong and we're worrying over nothing. An official confirmation from MS would be nice though.

20. addflash

addflash Member

Well if you buy new console and go to live then you can redownload all the contents and maps from account managment - download history.