1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 back up

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jimliner, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

Can someone guide me to the backup utility to back up PC games. I would like to back up Doom 3 disk 1 at least.

thanks in advance

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

Hi

I tried tweaker and recommended settings. Each time it will read the topo till about 10/12's of the way done and then come up error reading topo.

Jimliner

4. Nephilim

Is the disc clean and scratch free?

5. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

Thank you for your patience.
    I think the cd is clean.
    I finally ran through a copy without error. But it won't play Doom3, it acts like a load cd only.

??????

Help,

Jimliner.

6. Nephilim

What make/model drive are you using?

7. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

Plextor DVDR 712A Used for this.

Lite On LTR 52327s cd writer.

Lite On RW SOHW 1633s

8. Nephilim

9. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

ok thanks

When I used Twk & BW5 the disks that finished, when tried would come up "insert doom3 dsk 1".

I ran BW 4.57. Look to work first time. Good tips and screen shots. Went to use it Did Not get insert disk message. Disk just winds up and slows down then winds up and slows down, no pop up message window. Every 20 seconds ""cursor>hourglass" talk with hard drive. ???????

Any suggestions, I think I am close. Used Lite On LTR 52327S. I might try my Plextor 712A?? Any diff?

Thanks, Jimliner.

10. Nephilim

The PX-712 would certainly be worth a shot. Also it'd be a good idea to try the copy in all three of your drives since some drives are better at reading copies than others.

11. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

I tried copy in all three drives, same results. Reran with Plextor 712A. Last night with Lite On 52327s, initial read started getting Ecc/Edc errors, then it restarted.
    Today with Plextor, that didn't happen. Same results though. CD-R just spins up/down, hard drive active once in awhile.

I did notice when using original disk 1, as program starts program in taskbar has same icon (launch demo shield) as when you look in directory. When using copy the program slot on task bar has a blank white square as opposed to symbol/icon for "launch demo shield".

Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance.

Jimliner

12. Nephilim

We're getting close. Did you both read and write with the 712?

It's often easier to run copies in a DVD ROM - do you have access to one for testing? The reason is because burner will do an ATIP check when a disc is inserted which can cause the verification to fail whereas ROMs don't do an ATPI check. My copies of Doom 3 ran fine in my Lite On 167T DVD ROM but they choked in my Plextor Premium and Plextor 708A. That was the first time my burners wouldn't run a copy - they would work all the way up to SafeDisc 3.20 but when 3.20.022 came out the party was over as far as running copies from my burners.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  13. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

Hi,

Base on a diffeent thread, I D/I clonecd 5.0.2.2
    Burned a copy to cd-r. checking "hide cd-r" and copy worked fine.
    I can store orginal disk 1. Life is good. Might have to back up mother in laws, Sims2 for her. It looks like a toy for her dog????????
    I stumbled onto AfterDawn by chance and have learned a ton. I really enjoy the forums.
    Thanks for all your help and patience.

Jimliner

14. Jimliner

Jimliner Guest

One last question and I will close thread.
    I have room for one more drive in case. If I install a cd-rom drive. Will I not have to "check" hide cd-r???? I don't think it is that easy to not have to have "clonecd task bar" active, with hide cd-r active.

Jim

15. Nephilim

Glad everything worked out. It's been a pleasure helping you and we hope you stick around to keep us company. We like seeing new nicks become familiar ones :)

If you're going to add a ROM - which is a great idea - I highly recommend the Lite On 167T DVD ROM. It's a whiz at fast, accurate rips and works well with burned PC games.