1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Layer (DVD+R DL) Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by babakt, Feb 15, 2005.

1. babakt

babakt Member

I know this issue has been discussed previously, and here is what I can gather:

Currently your options for DL media are limited to Verbatim and Ritek. People have complained about both. I have used Ritek, and I get the common problem of standalone players running into problems when they have to go to the second layer of data (my players basicallly pause, but if you hit fast-foward for a second it resumes okay). That's all fine and dandy. I'm content with either shrinking my backups, or splitting them with the intention of putting them back together when the media is good. But there is my question. When the heck, if ever, are companies going to start putting out better DL media, and when will the prices become reasonable? I've heard with the HD-DVD vs Blue-Ray war on the horizons, the DL media issue will never really be addressed by companies. I mean, Sony already has BlueRay media out but no DL media!

So you're thinking, what is this dudes question... Does anybody know the real story? What is the news? Was buying my DL writer a big scam? Are companies working at all to make DL media? I love TY, are they going to put some good stuff out? Is the problem of playback when going to the second layer hopeless or will better media fix that? Thanks!

Oh, and lastly, does anybody know any really good prices for Ritek DL right now?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What programs are you using to back up on DL discs? I haven't had any problems with verbatim. I just saw that memorex DL discs are out. Be patient as far as price and variety. Look how long it took single layer discs to come down in price. The only reason I even have dl media is because I get a lot of bestbuy dollars and coupons by mail. I've probably only spent about $40 for 8 3pks of verbatim.

3. babakt

babakt Member

I use decrypter + ulead. Get fine results with all other burns. Not all players have the problem, but I'm not too worried about that. The best price I can find is around $13.99 for a 3pk, which is still a little too high for me.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Do you remove the original layer break and then add a new one for the backup?

5. babakt

babakt Member

No, I don't do that. Is that necessary? I'm not making any changes to the movies (except decrypting). Is that something I need to do? If so, could you let me know how I can do this? Thanks.

6. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

I am also having the same problems you are having.I am close to giving up on DLs until the price comes down suffiently.In Oz I am paying $12 per disc.
    I think once it gets to layer break it just stops gets all scratchy and well its a waste of time trying to watch it from there.
    I use Decryptor and Shrink.
    Please help.
    Thanks,

MervinJ

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I was told, but have not tried, that using Shrink you need to check "remove layer break" and select DVD-9 as your media type.

I don't know about adding back a layer break...

8. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

Hi all, maybe this is of some help to you. I have so far done about 20 20 D/L DVD using CloneDVD2 without any problems at all.

Th mdeia I use is Verbatim Dual Layer 8.5 GB DVD+R 2.4x

9. babakt

babakt Member

Anybody know any good deals on Verbatim DL disks?

10. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Rob,I have ticked 'Remove Layer Break' and I also have selected dvd9.The quality is crap.I am burning with nero that came with the burner and I am burning at 2.4X speed.I dont know what else to do.
    Again.....help!!!:)
    (Please)

MervinJ

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Sorry for the late response. I usually use shrink and nero for my dl backups. These came out great, but I had to be picky about the movies I backed up. The thing you have to worry about with DVD+R DL media is that you have to make sure the layer break is in the right spot. I spoke to rotary about decrypter's ability to backup dl discs. He was not sure as to whether or not decrypter removed the original layer break and then inserted a new one. All he new is that it worked great. Here's the thread that describes his way of backing up to dl with decrypter

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/160628#836459

I'm am still looking into the layer break issue and will test rotary's method out myself. I will post my results and other finds as soon as I can. Good luck on your backups.

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

MervinJ - it sounds like your doing exactly what I was told to do, but haven't actually tried. Does the backup look bad, or is there a problem going to the second layer?

I have not found any movie worth wasting my DL disks on - not at $10 a pop. I'd rather buy two copies of the movie for $15 each. I guess when the price gets a lot lower, I will start using DL media. Most movies are fine even when compressed. But I do understand the desire for no compression.

13. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Wolfniggr - great link on DL burning with Decrypter.

Thanks!!

14. piperGCA

piperGCA Member

I've done several dl's. They all work great. I use DVD Region+CSS Free running in the background while I use Nero 6.6 to copy.
    I've heard that both layers have to be the exact same size for them to play correctly so I'm not sure about changing the layer break?? I'd love to hear more opinions on it.
    I've also used DVD Decrypter and that's a great program too but I love Nero 'cause it is by far the best program I've ever used (and I've tried a lot!) for copying from a DVD9 to a DVD5. Of course Nero only works with DVD Region+CSS Free working in the background.

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The reason you want a new layer break is because 85% of DVD-video have extra content that regular rippers ignore(interactual player, jacket picture folder, ect.). Once you rip the movie without those extras the layer break is no longer in the center of the data. This is why a new layer break is needed. The thing is you can still watch a dl backup perfectly without a layer break at all. You won't even see a pause when it goes from layer0 to layer1. It's when you want to search backwards ([bold]<<[/bold] not [bold]|<<[/bold]) in a scene that started on layer0 and continued to layer1 that the player freezes once it reaches the begining of the second layer. If there's a layer break in that spot the player will then know where to continue while searching. Since DVD+R DL are formatted(OTP) to split the data evenly between both layers it is vital that the layer break be in the correct spot. I'm not sure and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if and when DVD-R DL is available it will be formatted so both layers won't have to be equal giving you more leeway for a layer break position. Even then I'm not sure if it will make it any easier to place the layer break in the correct spot.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  16. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Thanks for the link.Will give that a go and see what happens.That was going to be my next move.
    Rob,what happens is that around the middle of the movie it all just turns to poop.Freezes up and then skips large chunks of the movie.
    Also menus dont seem to want to work all that well.Especially for discs of mine that have several episodes on it.They tend to be a lot larger than movies.
    The layer break may well be the problem.

MervinJ

17. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Sorry, but what's the big mystery here about the break? Rip using decrypter in ISO mode, burn from the ISO. I've done this successfully about 15 times. No different than how you rip/burn a single layer disc in decrypter. It never occurred to me that anyone would backup a full disc any other way! If I'm missing something please let me know.

18. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

MervinJ - I have seen that problem on many of my single layer discs. In my case it appears that is was due to the crappy Memorex media I was using. I have not seen that problem once since I changed to Sony discs (in this case they are media code YUDEN000T02, not SONY08D1).

Only a few companies make DL and I'm not sure who makes the best...

19. MervinJ

MervinJ Member

Tried backing up a disc with Decryptor early today.Everything went really well......till I played thew bloody thing!!!!Exactly the same problem as before.I am beginning to think its the DL Verbatim discs.
    Until I can get my hands on a different brand of discs I am not going to bother with the DL stuff.
    Verbatim DL discs are crap!!!

MervinJ

20. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

MervinJ, what exactly is the problem. Make sure that your firmware is up to date. Did you change the bitsetting on your burner? What's the booktype you have been using?