1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Layer DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by princedvd, Feb 26, 2007.

1. princedvd

princedvd Member

What is the best method to make Double Layer DVD copies?

Should I use Fab, Ripit4me, AnyDVD, Shrink and CloneDVD and should I use IMGburn?

I just need the easiest method you can give me help with.

Thanks.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm not sure what skip the DVD Shrink phase means here. But to best utilize RipIt4Me, it is best to leave all the FixVTS options checked and leave the open in DVD Shrink checked as well. The reason for opening the files in DVD Shrink is to check the files for compliance. If DVD Shrink does the quick analysis successfully, it's a good bet the files are cleaned for transcoding or burning, whatever the case may be. When burning DL, close Shrink and open the files in ImgBurn to build the ISO and burn. With newer copy protections don't use the ISO rip option in RipIt4Me (the FixVTS can't function). For those who want to transcode with Shrink, the files would be open from RipIt4Me. For those wanting to encode, transcode, or edit with other software, the cleaned files are readily available on the HDD.

If skipping the Shrink phase means no need to transcode with Shrink to burn DL with ImgBurn, I couldn't agree more.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. LOCOENG

I don't use DVD Shrink to check for compliant rips...but it sounds like a good idea. I simply rip in ISO mode and burn with Imgburn, but to each his own. Haven't had any problems yet, but don't usually burn to DL as most of the movies I'm interested in will fit nicely onto a SL disc with little or no compression.

[​IMG]

BTW pacman your quote tags are off...they made me look twice as didn't remember typing all of that. LOL

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCOENG
    All that bold was some kind of AD snafu. I clicked quote, typed in my response and everthing went bold. Call me lazy, I didn't try to edit.

A lot of people have been using Shrink to test for file compliance for a long time. I think the Shrink analysis was included with the Decrypter PgcEdit Plugin method of decryption when Arccoss first came along. Now it's a part of RipIt4Me, whether intentional or not. I don't think they took the time to write automatic opening in Shrink just so it would be easy access to transcode with Shrink. Nero's quick analysis in Recode can also be used for compliance testing. It's just a quick way of checking to see if you're wasting your time with a set of files. Quick analysis (Shrink or Recode) can be used for compliance testing files ripped with any decryption software. Just because they're used for the compliance test doesn't mean the entire transcode has to be done with them. They're just more handy at that point. Most often I close Shrink and encode with RB.

Certain titles won't open in DVD Decrypter without help and ripping using DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD's help can leave structural errors needing FixVTS or VobBlanker to correct. The files can't be accessed by those programs if the files are in ISO. That's the reason I rip in file mode nowadays.

I've seen the discussions on ripping with ISO as a means of bypassing copy protection. I've seen it work in a couple of instances. But more often I've seen the copy protection errors get transfered in the ISO files as well. If you open an ISO you will find the Video_TS folder along with the IFO, BUP, and VOB files. Open an ISO in a virtual drive or use an archive tool like WinRar that supports the ISO format and you'll see that ISO is a package format for burning. Note the finished product. Open a DVD and you see the Video_TS and the files. You no longer see the ISO. You burned the contents of it. If the recording software finds noncompliant files in the ISO, it won't burn that either.

Saw 3 Unrated, region 1, and Talladega Nights are a couple of recent titles that trying to rip in ISO aren't successful. DVDIdle rips in File and then creates an ISO. But if it doesn't get it right, then it blocks processing the files to correct errors. I've seen times DVDIdle had problems till it was updated, especially with the recent Saw 3 release. Ripping in File mode and creating an ISO with ImgBurn works better. That lets the user access the files before they're converted instead of letting the DVDFab software do it up front. Because RipIt4Me uses Decrypter, it actually rips in ISO format. As I mentioned before, ISO doesn't allow access with FixVTS and other tools needed to process the files for compliance. VTS flaws are the trademark of the more recent copy protections. Not only do they make the files unreadable by decryption and the copy protection up front, when the copy protection is removed, it leaves a structure recording software sees as noncompliant. I don't think I need to repeat ISO doesn't lend itself to easy file access for compliance processing.

With the newer copy protections I've found the easiest method is using RipIt4Me in one of the File modes and use 1-click mode to decrypt and clean up the files and process with FixVTS to help insure compliance. The process takes a few minutes longer, but it's adding the FixVTS instead of the user doing so after the decryption. I know it isn't necessary for all movies, just about anything pre 2006 would be exempt. But for the new movies, I don't mind spending a few minutes, especially if it came from Disney, Sony, or Lionsgate. Personally, I've started using the program all the time. It even helps eliminate those occasional bogus Nero error warnings.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm with Loco too. Imgburn great product. Although I do use AnyDVD instead of ripit4me if it works. If not then I use ripit4me.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

All methods above are great and will produce a good backup, but here is one more option.

1) Rip the whole movie with DVDFab Decrypter
    2) Run files through VixVts (you could skip this step if you wish)
    3) Burn with ImageBurn

Good Luck :)

8. princedvd

princedvd Member

I decrypted the movie with Fab. When using IMGBurn, what steps do I need to take? Is there a tab I need to check?

Thanks for all the help.

9. princedvd

princedvd Member

If I decrpyt with Fab, compress with CloneDVD2 in DVD+R DL option, will IMGBURN recognize the iso image if I just press the write button to start burning?

I thought about purchasing Nero 7, will Nero burn Double Layer DVD's in iso image?

Thanks.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Decrypting with DVDFab you have 2 options, File and ISO. With the default File you can access the Video_TS to process for errors if any are left or to edit. With ISO output DVDFab decrypts in File mode and then creates an ISO for output.

ImgBurn will burn the ISO output or with the File (Video_TS) it uses the Build mode to create an ISO for burning. Since the ISO is being created either way, why not leave the option to access the ripped files from DVDFab in File mode and let ImgBurn create the ISO?

Why would you want to? ImgBurn will build an ISO and CloneDVD 2 has it's own burning software. BTW, you don't normally compress with CloneDVD 2 in DL at least not with a factory DVD9.

To simplify things, the first thing you need to do is get a good rip with compliant files, RipIt4Me or DVDFab Decrypter (whichever works and whatever floats your boat). Then open the files in Imgburn and create an ISO in Build mode if you ripped in File mode or burn if your files are ISO. With RipIt4Me rip in a file mode so FixVTS can be used to process for compliance. DVDFab has already been explained.

11. LOCOENG

I agree with pacman...why would you want to buy a program when you have all this excellent freeware at your fingertips.

@pacman

I didn't make DL backups the movies you mentioned in your post...and rarely make DL backups for that matter. Glad you cleared the air though, lots of good information in your post as always.

Cheers.

12. ZCS626

ZCS626 Regular member

i use Shrink to burn DL's after i use Ripit4Me to rip it onto the hard drive. i just change it from DVD-5 to DVD-9 in the burn settings.

is there any advantage as to why i should use imgburn over the current method im using?

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCOENG
    Thanks for the compliment on the post. That means something coming from one of the respected Addicts here at AD. I'm sure you know about what I was saying. Since we were discussing the topic on a public forum, I thought I'd add some content so the newbies could understand what we were talking about. Sometimes they read things and take it out of context when there's more to the picture. With the increased copy protection the movie industry keeps adding, the picture keeps changing. I'm glad I can contribute by helping others with the small knowledge I have of the software and copy protection, but I'm still learning. I've seen someone around here has a favorite quote, "Teach and learn". It rings true.

14. LOCOENG

That would be the infamous ddp...also known for other quotes. LOL

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're using an additional piece of software that isn't necessary. You get the cleaned files from RipIt4Me. Recording to DVD9, the files don't need to be transcoded (compressed). You're using Shrink to create the ISO and start the burn (if you're using a supported burner program). All you need is an ISO to burn with ImgBurn. In the Build mode ImgBurn creates the ISO for burning. So all you need for DL is RipIt4Me and ImgBurn. If transcoding to DVD5, then Shrink would be necessary. As mentioned before it's best to use RipIt4Me in one of the File modes with the newer releases. But for older movies you could probably rip with ISO in RipIt4Me to speed up the process. That's what LOCOENG pointed out earlier, and I just added the part about the newer copy protection and the need to be able to process files for compliance.

The short version: For DL all you need is RipIt4Me and ImgBurn. Of course others have their formulas for doing decryption and there's really no wrong way as long as the resulting files work with the backup software.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just a little something to think about on the above statement for everyone.

Can anyone please tell ZCS626 what is wrong with that statement?

:)

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

He didn't capitalize the letter "i". I couldn't resist bbmayo! LMAO

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

LMAO!! I also spit my water all over my keyboard!!! Arrrrrgg! thanks a lot garmoon ;-)

HaHaHa

19. ZCS626

ZCS626 Regular member

pacman,

i think you have told me this before, but my computer hard drive got wiped and i never got the chance to do what i think you said.

for burning DL discs, when i open RIPit4Me, i should rip as an ISO file? correct?

then when i open imgburn, i should go to "write" and open the files up, and insert my DL disc, and just click the green arrow.

correct? or did i miss a step?

20. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

ZCS626,
    If you do it that way you will get a CRC error 95% of the time if you try to copy that DVD after it is burned. Imgburn will not check to make sure the padding is correct if you do it that way. Just rip it in File mode and then let Imgburn build the iso image properly.