1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double layer Media, Wll it work?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by razor2003, Jan 3, 2005.

1. razor2003

razor2003 Guest

I have a sony dvp-ns300, I sucessfully can play dvd+r, DVD+RW on it with no problems at all. (DVD)

If i get dvd+r DL (Double Layer)
    Will i have playback problems?
    I have a nex 16x double layer burner.

The thing im running into is not enough space on a 4.7 Gb Disc,
    (Backing up my dvd collection)

Dont really want to split the movie into 2 pieces.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Sure it will, though it's much more cost effective to use a program like DVD Shrink(which happens to be freeware) to compress the DVD9's down to a DVD5.

3. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

The answer is CLONEDVD2 and AnyDVD here is the link:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Very easy to use and is regared as the best on the planet.

Full working trial version. You just copy the main move on to a DVD5 (4.7Gig) or the complete DVD. This s/w can also burn to a Dual layer Disc (If you have a D/L burnner.

Have fun

4. razor2003

razor2003 Guest

Is the quality reduced, To a point where you can see the difference?

Im looking for doble layer disks and cant find any locally.

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have a dual layer burner and have found that my lite on dvdrom and my rca stand alone player will not play the burned dual layer discs . the burner i used to burn the discs is the only thing that will play the burned dual layer discs in my case . i suppose i could try to flash the firmware for my dvdrom to maybe get it to read burned dual layer discs . that would be kind of pointless as i watch very few movies on my pc anyhow . i originally thought burning to dual layer discs would be nice when the price of the media came down . them thoughts have changed since none of my players will play these burned dual layer discs . its kind of a waste when the burner is the only rom that will read these discs . i cant see buying all new hardware just to watch burned dual layer discs .

6. marcmn

marcmn Guest

concerning recuced quality- iso if you use dvd shrink to author only the movie and set for a deep scan and also sharp (default) auto burn to dvd decrypter you can not tell a difference between original - however if you use dvd shrink to simply backup full disc the picture will appear blocky - try it - spider man 1 the redheads hair was very noticable (blocky) also if one copy just click on auto delete box when burn starts.

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Using the methond marcmn laid out, with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, produces the best quality backups possible when compressing, and since they are both freeware, there is really no reason to spend money on programs that would do the same thing. The few DL DVDs I've burned have played fine in my ps2, which is the crapiest DVD player out there, so I assume that they will play in the majority of players, but since the media is expensive, oyu might want to check on the product page of your DVD player. See if the company lists the media with which the player is compatable, and see if there is any firmware available that might increase its compatability.

8. razor2003

razor2003 Guest

how can i auto burn to DVD Decrypter?

Currently i jsut use Nero to Burn the Files.

WHEN I split the VOB from the original into 2 dvd+r Discs somrhting wierd happens.
    I have like a narrator talking in tbe background during the movie.

i split them manually by renaming the VOB into 1 chapter and runing ifoedit to create new ifo.

Is this a bad method?

i am trying to backup spiderman 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

You could not tell the difference between a compressed backup using dvd shrink, and the real thing, as long as you use quality media. Some people are anal about getting a exact backup copy, but if you ask me thats just OCD. My eyes and ears can't tell the difference, and thats good enough for me.