1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Layered or Not?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Opus54, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Opus54

Opus54 Regular member

How do you decide whether or not to use a Double-Layered DVD-R?

Is the only criteria, size of the movie being copied?

2. macburner

macburner Guest

The only way that I decide when to use a dual-layered disk is when the movie its self is like 6 or 7GB. Than i just rip and burn the whole disk.

But if it is smaller, than just compress and use a single layer. ¡El muy cheap-o!

3. Opus54

Opus54 Regular member

What do you mean by Compressing it?

does programs like shrink comress the movies?

and will a regular dvd player play compressed movies on DVDs?

4. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

First things first there are currently no duel layered DVD-R discs available, there are DVD+R duel layer, these are relativley still expensive though. Some movies do get "Compressed" when using single layer discs, this is usually not noticeable. Do a search of the forums and the web, there is plenty of info about this subject.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey Opus54

Most movies are DVD9 media because of the extras they carry plus the original movie size so that's where the software programs like DVD Shrink came into play. Yes they can take that larger DVD9 contents and "shrink" it down to fit the DVD5 media. Done right, movie only or dropping extras, not needed audio, etc. or a combination of, creates more room for the Main Movie to fit without using as much compression for a better quality burn.

Yes, based on quality media, they will play fine on your DVD Players.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. macburner

macburner Guest

The only movies I have on DVD+R DL is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, because it is way to big to compress, and I didn't want two disks.