1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubt with 4x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by yujo, Oct 28, 2003.

1. yujo

yujo Member

Here in Brazil the LG4040b is about U$ 220,00.

Until now I just tried to burn at 2x because I have a slow Pentium III 600, with a 7200rpm Maxtor Hard Disk (running at DMA-66 in a ASUS P3W) under Windows XP.

I have tried Nero 6 (with latest updates) and I had many read errors under PowerDVD, however the discs could play right on Windows Media Player, WinDVD and many standalone DVD Players.

I tried RecordNow Max but it doesnt reconize the LG4040b unit. So I tried "burnatonce" and I got a strange error during burning stage.

So I have decided to use the Recorder Gold5 that came with my LG4040b. I learned how to burn DVD-VIDEO with it at http://www.super-klaus.de/BRG_e.htm

The discs I burned with this Recorder Gold5 played without any trouble in PowerDVD.

I think Nero6 still have some problem with LG4040b.

I just found and tested Princo4x and another cheap media with a "-A-" on the center of the disc. I burned about 15 discs without any problem. For my surprise even discs with risks under surface were able to burn and read (maybe I am a lucky guy :).

My LG4040b came with A104 firmware and I didnt try the upgrade to A301 yet. All programs I tried really reconized Princo as 2x.

My doubt is if I will be able to burn at 4x on my old Pentium III. Does somebody burn at 4x using a slow machine like mine?

I would like to known which machines (at least Processor and Clock Speed) users here are using to burn at 4x with LG4040b.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You can only try and I see no reason why not actually. Use a RW disc preferably so if anything goes wrong you will not waste the disc. Make sure nothing else is running on your system.

3. koola

koola Guest

I burn at 4x on my PC:

AMD Athlon XP2000
    1 x 120GB Seagate HD
    2 x 200GB Weston Digital HD
    1GB OCZ PC5000 DDR Ram
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    Liteon 16x DVD Rom
    Optorite DD206 +/- DVD Writer
    Win xp pro sp2

I have no problems with my setup. I have even burnt at 8x using my hacked firmware for my Optorite DD206!

4. andy_oz

andy_oz Guest

Upgrade the firmware to the latest one and you should be able to burn at 4x because of the buffer underrun protection. Nero 6 works great for me and download PowerDVD 5 that stoped the errors on my system