1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dowloading video from net to hard drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ollie123, Mar 18, 2005.

1. ollie123

ollie123 Member

I downloaded the vts files from the net onto my hard drive, just the drive letter D: When I tried to burn the movie in dvd shrink it said that it failed to open D:\vts_01_2.vob. Do I have to have a specific folder on partition D: it's 20 gig with nothing on it exept the download and if so what should I name the folder

thanks in advance -----Ollie

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Have you tried even playing that VOB file threw your DVD playing software to see what you have there?

Looks to be some files missing. ;-)

You need more than one VOB file to make a complete DVD

Video_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    and so on
    Should have some files that look like that to make a complete DVD..

3. brobear

brobear Guest

When you have HD files for a DVD in file format, it goes in a folder named VIDEO_TS. The path would look something like D:/SPIDERMAN/VIDEO_TS/...

Put all the BUP, IFO, and VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder. That's the same structure you would see if you ripped a DVD to the HD with DVD Decrypter.

If you've never paid attention to the structure before. Rip a DVD to the HD with Decrypter and open My Computer and take a look at the folders.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2005
  4. ollie123

ollie123 Member

thanks bb
    the files that were downloaded are as folllows and are on the hard drive partition
    video ts vob file 30,296 kb
    video ts bup file 24k
    vts 01 o vob file 169,068,574 kb
    vts 01 1 vob file 1,048,574 kb
    vts 01 2 vob file 44,962 kb
    vts 01 0 bup file 86 kb

I can play them on windows media but can't get shrink to recognize even tried Fab which also did not recognize the files

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try this,
    Open Shrink
    Click on Re-Author
    Browse to your files in the right window
    Should see "Title 1" If not you have a problem ;-(
    If you do see it then click on it
    Drag it to the left window
    Now you can click on the compression tab and take out any of the unecessary audio you dont need
    Click Backup!!

:)

6. ollie123

ollie123 Member

thanks bb
    the files that were downloaded are as folllows and are on the hard drive partition
    video ts vob file 30,296 kb
    video ts bup file 24k
    vts 01 o vob file 169,068,574 kb
    vts 01 1 vob file 1,048,574 kb
    vts 01 2 vob file 44,962 kb
    vts 01 0 bup file 86 kb

I can play them on windows media but can't get shrink to recognize even tried Fab which also did not recognize the files

7. ollie123

ollie123 Member

I think I answered twice but the problem is now solved thanks to bbmayo and brobear for such a fast and clearly understabable reply

Ollie

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hey we are a tag team!! :) Glad you got her working and if you should need any further assistance just remember the BB's. LOL

Just ask Brobear first ;-)

9. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL I think we got a Freudian slip in there. "Understabable"... I realize that we can be a bit less than stable sometimes. LOL Don't ask me though, I have the Schultz complex. I know nuhthinggg...

Most programs are set up to look for a disc image or a VIDEO_TS folder with the files in it. Without the files being in a particular folder, the programs don't know where to look. Individual files can be viewed, but the files need to be combined so a movie will play and/or record properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2005
  10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just to add ollie123, the files you downloaded was of an incompete dvd structure.

They should consist of VOB/BUP/IFO extensions.
    The list you provided only contained the VOB and BUP.

In order for a dvd to be recognised, it does require the IFO to be present along with the VOB/BUP, now the BUP is a 'copy' of the IFO, so what you could probably have done is copy/pasted the BUPS and renamed the extensions to .ifo.

Put them all in the folder VIDEO_TS and then see if dvdshrink would recognise it then.

But as the other 'dudes' have mentioned, just by putting it through a re-authoring process will sort it out.

If I use Pinnacle to create a dvd, then just run it through dvd decrypter, it cannot read the IFO information, and therefore I discovered that I can just copy and rename the bup to ifo and this worked well, do not whether it would work for you, but it is worth a shot.........................

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Did somebody say IFO, BUP, and VOB? Was there something about being the same structure one sees in a ripped DVD? Thanks for the supporting info there baabaa. Guess I should clarify a bit more sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2005
  12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Actually my mistake, I didn't read your thread (oops, sorry).

My old age you see, well I feel old anyway can that still count as an excuse?
    And all this head shaking aswell, I think I have contracted CJD or something..............

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  13. brobear

brobear Guest

baabaa
    I've been known to not emphasize the importance of certain aspects of the process. So we're glad to have you chime in. No problem at all. The more the merrier.

By the way, we accept any and all excuses as long as you reciprocate. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2005
  14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, had to look that one up.

I prefer to procrastinate, and come back later..........

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Yep, why do today what you can do tomorrow? I don't know how many times I've gotten into trouble over that attitude. LOL Trying to stay out of trouble with the missus best shows how procrastination relates to making excuses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005