1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downgrading: Confession of a sad fool

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by vaustein2, Mar 8, 2007.

1. vaustein2

vaustein2 Member

As a hobbyist developer, I would love to port some of my small C++/SDL projects to PSP. After reading (not enough) about firmware downgrades, I purchased a 2.71 PSP for $199 plus a 2GB SD Pro Media Duo for $79 at Target. I also bought the Greatest Hits edition of GTA:LCS before reading about patched vs. unpatched and how to tell the difference by the disk serial number. I visited several GameStops and EBWorlds around greater Seattle, but no joy.

This is my first time I buying a handheld on impulse without planning. I spent months hanging out at homebrew/dev sites for the GP2X and Tapwave Zodiac before I bought them.

Aside from playing commercial games - I care about maybe two games, LOTR Tactics and Gun Showdown, no others - is there much value in holding onto it? With eBay trolls hoarding unpatched copies of GTA:LCS, I'm reluctant to risk more $$ on this. Most of the forums here and elsewhere are firm on "no unpatched LCS, no downgrade".

I could get most of the $280 back, minus a 15% restocking fee. However, I sort of feel like locking the PSP in a truck and leaving it there for a while. I felt this way when I bought an Nokia NGage QD, but six months later I had a good reason to dig it back out.

Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to get this off my chest and get on with the rest of the week. Thanks!

2. paul91

paul91 Regular member

sorry mate i dont really understand what this is about lol :D

*edit* got it now lol just had to re-read

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  3. balkie16

balkie16 Regular member

if u have a 2.71 psp u can downgrade without gta...=)

4. npdyna

npdyna Regular member

$79 for a 2GB pro duo?

Yeah dude, you don't need GTA, there is an easy installer you can use, but you need to check whether you have a ta-082 motherboard before you choose which one you need.

Use this guide to check -

http://psp.about.com/od/homebrew/ig/TA-082-Motherboard-Tutorial/TA-082-code-location.htm

And then you can find the correct downgrader here -

http://www.psp-hacks.com/category/35

Be sure to use the right one, or you'll end up with a bricked PSP, which would suck.

Good luck dude!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  5. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

cheer up mate. i don't see any problem except that you bought a 2gb for $79 whereas you could have bought it for $40 or less. if you hesitate to buy a gtalc umd, then i suggest you wait till the downgrader of 3.03 w/ the gtalc comes. and since you said that yours is a 2.71, then there's no need to use gtalc at all. cheers.. :D

6. vaustein2

vaustein2 Member

Excellent! I'm waiting for 100% battery charge, then I'll downgrade by following the instructions from "Power's Downgrading Tutorial". I have a TA-802 mobo & FW 2.71, and the tutorial includes a section for this.

I'd use Auto Downgrade Generator, except it would upgrade to FW 2.80 before downgrading, and that seems risky w/ a TA-802.

What are the benefits of upgrading to Dark_Alex's 3.10 OAE? Does it allow launching homebrew while still supporting commercial games that require FW 3.10?

7. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

Yes you can run homebrew on it. It doesnt need any iso loading program(its built in) It has many benefits. And to my knowledge I havent seen any games requiring 3.10.

8. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

ratchet & clank ... + a grip of new uk games

9. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

congratulations

10. mandeep22

mandeep22 Member

Man that is no longer true . ITs history it is back in early 2006 now there are downgrader upgraders available . Even if your new psp is TA-082 like mine. Back than it was DREADED to not let any homebrew but after 2 months of break i got it all working on spt 2006 thanks to devhook and dark alex.

So it dosent matter if you have lcs or not.

To get started and avoiding any buzzword and first here is what i did to my psp with a ta082

FW 2.5(company installed)-> 2.71 _> 2.80->2.81 ->1.5 -> 3.10OE A

And 3.10 OE A and C are latest and greatest in psp scene. You can do anything and everything ill try to make a small tutorial if it helps. rest as they say you have chance of bricking but even installting and reinstalling and sometimes interrupted installing also didnt brick my pc. And without homebrew psp isnt that much cool.

11. ukgtitch

ukgtitch Member

Mandeep, did you use this firmware (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/525) to firsly upgrade your 2.50
    ? (without any other mods etc)

Is it better to update to 2.8? to downgrade to 1.5 or use the 2.71 > 1.5 downdater? (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/752)

Thanks!

12. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

2.71 no LCS necissary.....2.80 - 3.03 LCS required.......3.03+ - youre boned...

you should be good to go, but if you like custimization, stick with 3.03 OE-C....when you get to 3.10 OE-A, it becomes easier to semi-brick ur psp (since not many ppl know what flash0 is anyways - they just want all the "cool stuff")

good luck m8, hope all of these similar explinations make sense...

13. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

14. vaustein2

vaustein2 Member

Oh man, do *not* update your firmware from 2.71 to anything higher, no matter what any guide or tutorial tells you! Use these instructions: http://forums.maxconsole.net/archive/index.php/t-43396.html

Be sure to verify your motherboard type (TA-082 or not) as explained. It will work either way if you following the right instructions.

Afterwards, you can upgrade 1.5 to one of Dark_Alex's OE firmwares available at http://www.dark-alex.org/. The tough choice is 3.03 OE-A versus 3.10 OE-A. The former lets you customize the navigation crossbar (XMB) but has less reliable Playstation 1 emulation; you get better PS1 emulation but lose XMB customizations w/ 3.10 OE-A.

I'm not sure which to go with, though I'll probably pick the latest and greatest. It's not like I spend much time staring at the crossbar. BTW, I found several 2.71 PSPs (indicated by letter K above the bar code and below the voltage rating) at a local Target.