1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download the first version of Action replay for PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by krikkey, Mar 15, 2005.

1. krikkey

krikkey Member

Hey there,

I've got a ps2-console which has been modded with one of the very first series of modchips(think it's something like codename:neo 1.2). Unfortunately sometimes I try to boot a copied game with my AR2 V2 but that won't do the trick. A friend of mine told me this is because the very first version of Action replay is probably more compatible with my current modchip. According to him that's the reason why I wouldn't be able to boot some of the newest backups(games etc) for ps2.

Can anyone tell me how to find a first action relpay version(can't buy it anymore) Maybe download it? give me the site?? Thanks!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

I have a newer version of AR Max, i got it a few years ago. and it loads all my back ups with codes. But you have to use a program called DVDLoader to get it to work. I have never tried it as a boot disc because i have Swap Magic for that.

3. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

ok, so the only way to get the AR codes to work with the backups is DVDLoader?

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

If you boot your backups using ar2 then you wont be able to download ar because it wont boot because ar is what you boot with.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

All i know is how i do it, and yes i have to use DVDLoader to get the games to work with codes, but i use it along with Swap Magic, not as a boot disc.
    Here is how it works for me.
    1.put in AR Max
    2. Go to expert mode and choose game.
    3. pick to start game with codes
    4. when it asks for a disc press eject and put in Swap magic
    5. when it asks for a disc swap it out for DVDLoader
    6. when it asks for a disc press eject and load Swap Magic back in
    7. when it asks for a disc swap out for your backup.

A lot of steps, but the price you pay for using cheats with back ups.

6. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

ok i will try n let u know how it goes, and jus so u guys know, im not using AR as a boot method...i have a mod chip.

7. krikkey

krikkey Member

hey you guys stop fighting like a bunch of childs ok...

I just wanted to know if anyone of you knew a way for me to get my hands on the oldest version of ar cause that's the only way i'll be able to boot all of my copied games...for now i'm sometimes limited(depends on the original disc 'game-securities' ...I speak dutch ya know...)to the older backups...

So please tell me there's a site, a message from God that says: here you can download AR(original version)!

Thank you!!

Cya and keep on gaming!

8. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

what the people above mean is what use is a downloaded (backup) of an AR2.
    it will be a backup in its self and will need a working ar2 or swapmagic to boot the downloaded ar2!

in other words your better off buying a proper modchip (neo's WILL fusk up your laser after about 6 months and nothing will load in your ps2) or get a swapmagic for about £15 - £20.

9. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

also it is most likely badly burned games rather than your ar2's fault that they wont boot.

and the very 1st ar2 is not accepted by any but the very first ps2 versions. the farer back with ar2 you go the less compatible it will become so if you insist on using an ar2 then your better off with the latest version which will work with just about all games that are out now

10. krikkey

krikkey Member

Hey there,

First off all thanks for replying to my thread!
    But the problem is, i've allready got myself a new and well adjusted lens for my ps2... At that time just about every backup went well on this console... However the guy who placed my lens told me another adjustment of my new lens could be needed after a certain period, but it wasn't possible to estimate this period of time he said.
    I've also bought the latest version of AR about 2 months ago but this version wont boot backups unless there's something to this software I do not know about. So meanwhile i'm gaming the games I can, my nephew passed by today with a backup of Driv3r and NBA 2005 but my action replay seems not to boot any of the latsest EA games cause all of them don't work. Driv3r works well on the other hand so it's really strange actually.
    And when I use AR(original, old version) on my console to boot, it boots the backup as if it were nothing. Really, most extraordinary...
    Anyway thanks for replying to my thread and game on!

Ciao!!!

Kristof

11. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

well thats what you get when you play backups that way, the ar2 swap is one of the very first methods of booting a copy and isnt really very reliable. also i think ea games needed some kind of patch to play with a neo mod chip. that was way back when they were first out though and i havnet got a clue if thats still the case.

12. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

i also had this problem with some games booting fine, while others werent, before I got my modchip. And i think the problem COULD be that the AR will only boot games that arent too big in capacity...DRIV3R for example isnt too big of a file... This could be the problem...not sure...but yea this AR boot method isnt the best way to go...actually its the worst... either get a modchip or swap magic 3.3...

13. krikkey

krikkey Member

Hey there you guys!

Well yeah I see what you mean, maybe there's something to it, anyway your explanation could clear out some mysteries involving my ps2... But this swap magic, what is that exactly? Does it go with a cartridge or sth? What's the approximate cost of it? Will it solve my problem completely or is it not sure?

Cya and have a nice day

Kristof

14. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

you dont need a cartridge but depending on your ps2 type (normal/slim) you will have to use either a flip top lid, slide tool or magic switch. the magic switch and slidetool will come with it when you order it (my sm3.3 cost £19 from ebay).

if your on a normal ps2 you will also have to remove the front part of the ps2 cd tray so you can fit in the slidetool but it is reattachable if you remove it right.

15. krikkey

krikkey Member

I've got one of the very first series SCPH-30004 so... Anyway thanks for the information, £19 that's about $35 isn't it?

Byezz

Kristof

16. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

they are around $30 - 35 with the slidecard i think.

check www.swapmagic3.com