1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download/Upload rate = 0

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by WiganScum, Jun 26, 2007.

1. WiganScum

WiganScum Member

Just looking for some possible suggestions for a solution to my problem. Basically I've been happily using BitTornado for 2 months without any problems. I was getting a very respectable download speed (one which I was happy with anyway). However since Fridy 22nd June it stopped working and I have no idea why. My download/upload rate is now 0 99.9% of the time. If I'm lucky I might get 5kbps which clearly is pointless. The torrents in question have many seeders and few leechers. I've tried various torrent sites and it makes no difference. I've uninstalled/reinstalled BitTornado, I've tried using Burst. No difference. I've tried a System Restore, no change. What the h*ll is going on?

My ISP has a fair use policy, a 40g capped download limit per month. I initially thought that maybe they were somehow blocking my download/upload as maybe I had reached my limit. My ISP advised me they do not do this, they simply issue a warning letter, four letters and you're out.

Any ideas? Like I say I've had no problems for two months and then this has happened. The only thing I did differently recently was visit ovguide.com and view a couple of films via a live stream but surely that couldn't have caused any harm?

Sorry for the long post, trying to provide as much info as possible. Tried reinstalling my modem. My next step is to borrow a friends PC to see if I can download on his PC from my house. It's a pain in the ass. Any torrent fan will appreciate how stressful a situation I have found myself in :-(

2. vette74

vette74 Member

Are your TCP/UDP ports forwarded properly in your modem config? Go to http://www.portforward.com find your modem and double check to see if they are. Try turning on protocol encryption in your BT client too.

Also, you have to make sure you have a static, not dynamic, IP address. Many ISPs set you up by default with dynamic. Instructions to change to static IP are here:
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

One more thing to check is make sure your BT client didn't somehow get firewalled. Check your firewall settings if you have one enabled.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  3. ripdox

ripdox Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  4. WiganScum

WiganScum Member

Thanks for the advice vette74

I'll recheck everything. I've sent a few angry messages to my ISP, although I've received vague general responses it would seem they are preventing my downloads. I am unable to use BitTornado (I can't see any encryption settings for it). uTorrent works for me with encryption on but only at offpeak times.

I dunno how my ISP can control my use of torrent client software but I don't appreciate being controlled in this way.

I'm based in the UK and my ISP is TalkTalk - Do not be tempted by the cheap price of their broadband. You have a 40g download limit but it would seem they decide what you can download and when.

Thanks all