1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloaded .avi movie. What to do next?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CDeM, Mar 2, 2005.

1. CDeM

CDeM Member

Well, needless to say, I'm new at this.

I have just downloaded a full movie in .avi format. I'm wondering, if I burn the file to disc using NeroVision Express, will it be played at DVD quality in my DVD player, or will it be played with lower quality? What is the best method to burn this to DVD? Thanks.

2. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

cd-r or dvd-r?
    are you going to leave it in avi format?

3. CDeM

CDeM Member

I'd like to burn it to a DVD-R, with my own menu and chapters added. I just want to have it be the best quality possible. I'm wondering how I would go about doing that. Thanks.

Also, the .avi file is not playing on my computer for some reason. It says MPEG4 decoding is not available.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You can convert it and burn with Nero Vision Express. Final quality will depend somewhat on how good your download is and also the quality of blank media you use.

Jerry

6. ehrlichia

ehrlichia Guest

just a little comment, I found a great free program, VSO Divx to DVD it converts alot of downloaded video files to the dvd format. in release 0.4.9.83 now. It can convert pal to ntsc,change aspect ratio 4:3 16:9.
    and output your avi with dolby ac3 2.0 sound.
    after that adding menus and artwork in NVE is simple unless you want to give dvd lab pro a try?...
    Good luck

7. CDeM

CDeM Member

I've used Nero VisionExpress to burn .avi files onto a DVD-R, and the videos work in a DVD player. With a full movie though, it says I can't do it because of MPEG4 decoding. I dont know if using NeroVision decreases the quality or not either. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have done hundred's of mpeg4 (DivX) files with NVE and it works well.. :)

9. ehrlichia

ehrlichia Guest

To answer your question about quality of the picture... no NVE does not degrade the picture. it might pixelate a few frames here and there but the overall movie should be fine. The average dvd-5 has a variable bit rate from 3-5 kbps. and NVE outputs your movie at 6-9 kbps. (if you use the high quality setting).
    You do have to think about the other aspects ie.
    (crap in crap out) the quality of the movie you put in won't be any better than the movie that comes out.
    Like bbmayo I to have done many (divx) avi's and the quality was great.

10. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

So you're saying you can have a crappy-quality movie and end up with a good one?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No!! If you have a crappy movie to begin with nothing is going to make it better. We are just saying it wont change much (quality wise) with NVE. It is going to degrade a little, but you won't notice it.

12. CDeM

CDeM Member

Thanks. I changed the file type to DVD using Cucusoft Avi-DVD. Did the conversion lower the quality? Can I use NVE to burn the converted mpeg file now?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If it is already converted no need for NVE anymore. Unless you want to create menus and stuff, but NVE would have done it all at once. Remember the more programs you run that file threw the more it will degrade the quality. If you just want to burn those files you have already converted just use Nero there is a guide at my site (link in my sig) that shows you how to do this there is also one there on using NVE if you want to give that a try.

14. CDeM

CDeM Member

Thanks a lot.

Well, I tried to use NVE as a one step procedure, but it wouldn't allow me to add the video file. Once converting the file with Cucusoft, I was able to add it to NVE, and create a menu with it.

15. just4me87

just4me87 Member

well guys,

I have a problem. i have winavi video converter to convert avi movies to .VOB. then i burn them using nero v6. the problem is that some of the movies work great using the dvd player. the other movies work fine but colorless. what is the problem and how can i fix it.