1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloaded frostwire-can't find troublshooting anywhere!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by bellyn, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bellyn

bellyn Member

Hello,

This is my first time posting here so I hope it's in the right spot. I have just downloaded frostwire and have no idea how to use it, I am having trouble finding help and to complicate matters, I am not to experienced with uploading and downloading movie files to begin with, if any one could direct me to help it would be much appreciated. Thanks Bell

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

bad thing to be using a p2p program like frostwire to download movies, it is to easy to be cought, also to many virus with the programs, also you never know what you are going to get with p2p, good luck, also they have help files with the program

3. bellyn

bellyn Member

Thank you, sorry, help was right in front of me, norton removed a trojen virus from my computer around the same time I was using frostwire do you think that is where it came from (I am still learning and probebley asking pretty silly questions, anyway thank you for responding, Bell

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

yes most likley

5. jezchrizt

jezchrizt Member

can't believe people still use p2p.

6. bellyn

bellyn Member

Thank you for your time and advice, I am thinking about removing frostwire from my PC as I don't have the experience and knowledge at the moment to be able to deal with constant virus threats effectively.

I was advised by a friend of a friend (yes really) who is a PC technician to use torrent but with my lack of knowledge when it asked me to open a port on my PC I freaked out and quit the download, so I went on to try peer 2 peer (I have little understanding of the difference between the two) I know Norton is not the best protection and because of these things it became a little daunting, could you tell me if torrent is safer to use and the differences. Thanks again Bell.

7. LILBUCK

LILBUCK Guest

your friend has no frikin clue, get rid of frostwire. If your friend is a PC technician....he not any good at knowing anything about P2P programs.

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@bellyn

I'll try and clear some things up for you. Alright to begin with the program FrostWire itself did NOT install any malicous software such as a trojan, virus, or spyware. I can guarentee this because Frostwire is open source and thus does not originally contain any malicious programs/code. Now if you didn't download it off of Frostwires webpage the setup program could have been modified to install spyware etc. but that is a long shot and very uncommon. A file downloaded off the network that FrostWire uses(Gnutella) could have easily been infected with a virus. BitTorrent or Torrent for short is another peer-to-peer protocol that has a very flexible network. You can read more about the BitTorrent protocol here. The term "opening ports" in laymans terms refers to telling your router "I want internet traffic on this port# and this port# to be allowed unrestricted access to the internet". Forwarding ports/Port Forwarding is not needed to use BitTorrent but to achieve maximum speeds it is necessary. Here is a good guide right found right here on AfterDawn that explains everythign you will/should need to know about BitTorrent to feel comfortable using it. Also since you obviously use P2P software I recommend running a program such as PeerGuardian2 to protect your privacy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  9. bellyn

bellyn Member

Thank you, the links are very helpful and I have a basic idea now of how the system work, what is your opinion of Norton? Thanks again for your time, Bell.

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

In my and many peoples opinions Norton AntiVirus by Symantec(and basically all other Symantec products) are trash. Independent tests show that Norton A/V has lower detection rates then some free antiviruses on the market. Norton A/V is a memory hog and slows you pc down considerably. It also is known to interfer with operations like internet gaming and bittorrent downloading. If you want to pay for a antivirus I highly recommend Kaspersky Antivirus which is one of if not thee best antivirus' on the market and available at many stores. I personally use Avira AntiVir Classic, which is free, on many of my PC's. It provides adequate protection for me as I just download off of BitTorrent, surf the web, and play a mmo pc games. Check out rav009's Free Window's Security Software! :- ) guide. It lists the pros and cons of many free antiviruses and gives you links and descriptions of many excellent free windows security applications.

11. bellyn

bellyn Member

Thank you, I have heard people say similar but never got around to asking them why, thanks for explaining. Yes my pc is very slow in doing just about anything and it has a lot of memory (for my uses) which I have used little of, it didn't bother me to much to begin with but now it is driving me crazy. Norton is prompting me to re-subscribe which, with all I have heard I won't be doing, does Kaspersky have anti spam and a user interface with easy access to virus scans etc? One of the main reasons I purchased Norton was it's ease of use (important to me at the moment,) Thanks again the info on BitTorent it's extremely helpful, there is so much to sift through doing a general search and then you just don't know what info is valuable and what is not. Thanks Bell

12. bellyn

bellyn Member

I forgot to ask what BitTorent client or clients you would recommend?

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I recommend using BitChe as a torrent search program. Heres a short description....
    For your BitTorrent client I highly recommend uTorrent, more specifally uTorrent 1.6. As later versions are being released by a group that associates with the MPAA. 1.6 was the last "non-mpaa" version and it is also one of the only versions of uTorrent accepted by many Private Trackers. You can download uTorrent 1.6 by clicking here.

Also download run and install Peer Guardian 2 which will block corporations like anti-P2P people from connecting to you. Heres a description of PG2...

14. bellyn

bellyn Member

Thanks again for the advice, I am buying Kaspersky this weekend and can't wait to see the difference, I am finally getting around to properly researching the advice and links you have given me, once again thank you I had no idea search programmes to assist with using torrent even existed, and PeerGuardian 2 is very helpful, it has made things a lot easier for me, and your time is appreciated.
    Thanks Bell

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

No problem bell :) If you ever need help with anything else let me know.

16. iwantLove

iwantLove Member

i have bittorent on one computer and frostwire on the other. i compared which one got the exact same file first. frostwire won by days.

you can still get .torrent files with frostwire. and frostwire is free.
    search for my torrent file online is what i did. then i opened frostwire.

FILE> OPEN .TORRENT.

thats MY WAY.
    good luck.

17. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not to butt in but trial Kaspersky or any program before you buy it, every computer is different in how it reacts. By the way, another vote for Avira here (free or paid). Edit: I didn't notice this thread was months old.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  18. iwantLove

iwantLove Member

ive tried other torrent stuff, frostwire seems to work best for me. like i said, thats just MY WAY.

i do agree about using a trial first though.

19. SPREEMAN

SPREEMAN Member

I AM HAVING TROUBLE OPENING UP FROST WIRE LIME WIRE
    I DOWNLOADED LIMEWIRE FROM LIMEWIRE.COM AND IT DOWNLOADS BUT WONT OPEN UP IT JUST SHOWS THE ICON ON MY DESK TOP BACK GROUND HOW CAN I FIX THIS

20. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

first things first welcome to afterdawn, when you type in all caps it is considerd shouting and is not allowed, just a heads up ok? is there a icon in your sys tray? at the bottom right of your screen? have you installed the program?