1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downloaded movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fast16, May 18, 2007.

1. fast16

fast16 Member

arite i have been trying to figure out how to exactly burn movies that i have downloaded from utorrent but i really couldnt find the answer to my question so i really need alot of help with this and can u tell me which software to use because i'm really lost. In otherwords plz give a step by step lesson on how to burn downloaded movies off of Utorrent(already downloaded from utorrent)

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Here's 2 free ones to pick from w/ guides:
    DVD Flick
    Or
    DivXtoDVD.
    For DivXtoDVD you can use (also free) ImgBurn to burn the video_ts folder. Here's a guide for that - link.

For either program set it to what TV format you're in - NTSC - US, Canada - PAL Europe.
    In DVDFlick it's in the guide above and for DivXtoDVD you set it under 'standard'.

3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

It's pretty easy actually, once you've done it and understand what's going on.

-The downloaded files are most likely in a different format to keep the file size small like .avi(DivX, XviD). These files need to be converted to DVD compliant ones (.vob, .ifo, .bup files).

-The files may be in the Pal(region 2) or NTSC(region 1) format, so in order for the DVD to play correctly in your player, the files will need to be converted to the proper format.

Once the files have been converted to DVD compliant ones and are in the correct format to be played correctly by your set top player, they can then be burned to disk.

There are a lot of ways to do this, some free and some not. There are two software apps that I recommend (both are not free), they are:

1) convertxtodvd http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
    2) Nero's [bold]NeroVision[/bold] http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php

Both applications will convert the files to DVD compliant ones and in the correct format (PAL or NTSC), then burn them to DVD disk. The ConvertxtoDVD trial will leave a water mark on the video unless you buy it, but Nero's demo will work properly for the entire demo period.

If you have .avi files, a free alternative is to use avi2dvd, all you'll need to use it is here http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm

EDIT: Hi Binkie, looks like you beat me to it again:(

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  4. fast16

fast16 Member

arite thanx but where does winrar come into place in this

5. fast16

fast16 Member

i'm really confused because i sometimes download movies that have the video file only but then theres other downloads that have a BUNCH of files and those files cannot play on my windows media player. They say that you have to use winrar to extract them or something

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

WinRAR is an extraction utility for compressed files (the files are compressed to keep the file size small for transfers like .zip or .rar), it sounds like some of your down loads are compressed and would need a utility like winrar to extract the files with before you can do anything with them. WinRAR is a good app, but it's not free, I suggest using a free utility called 7-Zip, it can extract just about any file type.

7-Zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/

or direct download
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe

7. binkie7

Yes you need to extract them 1st - most downloads are compressed with winrar or other compression apps.

Once extracted you can open them in wmp or most players like Showtime, VLC etc.

@johnl123
    Howdy :)

8. fast16

fast16 Member

okay know the movies are playing in my windows media player know all i need to know is what is a software that i can get these movies onto a dvd thanx

9. binkie7

See my post above for free ones and johnl123's for trial ones.

DivXtoDVD is pretty straight forward - nothing fancy here but a good program.
    Try that one (link & guides above).

10. fast16

fast16 Member

arite thanx guys man u guys have been a really good help i'll post something if i need more help thanx again

11. binkie7

No problemo fast16 :)

Keep us posted on how it turns out or if you need anymore help.

12. fast16

fast16 Member

okay i have encountered a problem, i use DivxtoDvd and then i use the software it reccomends for burning which is CopytoDvd everything goes well until i got to my t.v and i put in the dvd and it says error there is a problem with the dvd i have no idea what to check but the last dvd i burned was perfect and know i am having problems withthis one

13. binkie7

What did you use for the last dvd that played fine?

In divx did you set it to match the tv format you're in under 'standard'?

edit to add: try playing this disc back in the pc - all ok there?

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  14. fast16

fast16 Member

yes everything is the same just i played it in my computer and it was fine too i have no idea just wats wrong

15. fast16

fast16 Member

ohhhhh no i found out i was just using a wrong folder and using a wrong movie lol but know its all good thanx

16. fast16

fast16 Member

sry bout that but no the dvd still wont work i have no idea what to do know it still comes up with the error

17. binkie7

What error does the dvd player give you?

You set the standard in divx to your tv format?

How about the burn speed you burned the disc at and the brand of media you're using?
    Burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media.

18. fast16

fast16 Member

the error says that please check the disk thats it and no i didnt set it at half speed do u think that has something to do with the dvd but yeah should i do the dvd at half speed?

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

What brand discs are you using?

Give DVD Flick a shot...the link is in Binkies first post.

20. fast16

fast16 Member

i'm using verbatim and i have dvd flick a shot i did not like it at all i'm just gonna stick to this