1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading and burning DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KHNTx, Apr 1, 2003.

1. KHNTx

KHNTx Member

I just bought a hp dvd writer 200i the other day. I have been having tremendous problems burning DVD's. I get a message that reads "no video decoder abailable for this stream type." When I called the HP support line they told me that I would have to download every single decoder available because there is not one that does all formats. They had me do the windows update and also do some HP updates. So what am I doing wrong? Is there a certain place I can download DVD movies that I can be able to see what decoder is being used so I may use that one? Please help me. I am not gettting anywhere with the HP support line.
    Thanks.

2. Blootak

Blootak Guest

Decoders or codecs???I'm a newbie 2 so I hope ths helps. You should get Kazaa-lite, Divx 5.02 and Xvid codecs all available free from their .com sites. Install Kazaa and install the video Codecs. Most films on kazaa use these codecs. There are others. The way to find out which codec is needed is to Right click a file, select properties and then choose Summary.Hope this helps

3. KHNTx

KHNTx Member

Thanks so much for the help, Kazaa is the program I use so I will just download those codecs. I hope this works, if not I will be back :)

4. mrmont

mrmont Guest

hi what your downloading on kazza are not dvds they are divxs or xvids which are .avi if you just burn a movie to disc from kazza it wont work on anything but your pc you will have to convert them to vcd which takes ages..all the codecs do are let you play them on your pc

5. Blootak

Blootak Guest

There are a few free progs that will convert divx or xvid to mpeg2 format (TMPGEnc)ready to burn to dvd. Is there somewhere you can get movies for download any other way?

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

try the P2P File Sharing forum...

herbs

7. KHNTx

KHNTx Member

Well I am new to all this so I don't know of any other places to download the movies from besides Kazaa. Any suggestions?

So I need the program TMPGEnc? Will this help me transfer them so I can watch them on my home TV? I am sorry for being so DVD illiterate and I appreciate all the help.

8. mrmont

mrmont Guest

KHNTx if you download a divx movie you need to get TMPGEnc to covert it in to a mpg it will be a massive file probably 2gb then using nero make a vcd then it will convert it into a vcd then burn to disc, it will take ages..
    but to be honest ive never burned a vcd on to a dvd disc before so ask sombody on here if it will work first coz it will be a bummer if you waste your time.
    another thing some of the movies on kazza are already converted into mpgs so it might save you time downloading them, quality isnt the best but.. for nout..

9. jokzoo2

jokzoo2 Member

Hey, I've got the same problem. I've downloaded some movies from Kazaa in AVI format and I'd like to burn them to DVD format. I've converted a couple of them to VOB format but I don't know what to do next. I've tried burning the VOB file onto a DVD-R but it wouldn't pay in my DVD player. Any suggestions?

10. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

You have to use IFO edit to make IFO's and BUP files.
    Then you can open Nero and choose New compilation (no wizard). Choose the DVD-rom UDF/ISO mode and drag the files in a VIDEO_TS directory beneath the New compilation and then Burn.

11. jokzoo2

jokzoo2 Member

I tried making and IFO with IfoEdit and I received the error message "could not find any VOB unit in VOB file". Is there an all-in-one program that will convert and burn avi's to DVD format?