1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading Essential mixes from BBC Radio 1

Discussion in 'Audio' started by doogierat, May 5, 2004.

1. doogierat

doogierat Member

Is it possible for me to download dj mixes off the radio 1 website. If so how?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Carefully - it is a serious breach of copyright.

3. sastimac

sastimac Member

I was using my cassette deck to record radio shows for playback during the daily commute. My cassette deck died. Can I use my computer to record to CD's for later playback?

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Use the soundcard's linein + some recording software like Messer

5. Noel

Noel Guest

Streaming Media like Real Media and Windows Media is supposed to be heard but not saved. That is why RealPLayer and MS Media player cannot save them.

However, do a search of Google for streaming media capture software and there are a number of programs including a couple of freeware that will capture streamed media. I have not tried them myself so cannot comment on how easy they are to use.

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Many people don't have the bandwidth to properly play streaming media. The only way for those people to experience streaming media at it's highest bandwidth and without constant buffering is by streaming media recording. Fair use allows you to do this. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't make cassette recorders, VHS recorders or DVD recorders. If content providers have a concern, they can use DRM Digital Right Management to control this.

If downloading copyrighted content was illegal, then every person who uses a computer is breaking the law every time they are online. You computer is downloading copyrighted content all the time. Just look in your Temporary Internet Files and see all the copyrighted content your computer is downloading with out your knowing. Is it you or just your computer who is breaking the law.

If you want to know how to record, click the link below.

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Veblin - Wake up & join the real world.
    It is illegal to do this, and if you get caught you will lose your computer.
    The reason that cassette recorders et al exist is because Amstrad won a famous case back in the late 70's/early 80's that argued there were theoretical legal uses for such equipment.
    It is the use that determines copyright breach - NOT the machine.

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You are correct in that. That's why I gave those two examples. Personal Use is Fair Use when dealing with [bold]broadcast[/bold] media. That applies no matter if it is audio or video or the web page you are looking at.

Example:
    My local TV station broadcasts the local news.
    They have over air, over cable and over Internet broadcasts.

If I record that news broadcast on a cassette recorder for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.
    If I record that news broadcast on a VCR for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.
    If I record that news broadcast on a set-top DVD Recorder for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.
    If I record that news broadcast on a TIVO or RePlay TV for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.
    If I record that news broadcast on a computer TV tuner for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.
    If I record that news broadcast on a computer from the streaming Internet broadcast for Personal Use, that is Fair Use and is Legal.

That's the way it works where I live. Consult your local laws where you live.

A little streaming media recording history.

A person made a program called ASFRecorder. Microsoft was concerned about this and made a personal settlement with that person where they got the person a good job in the computer industry if he would stop developing ASFRecorder.

A little later, a company called StreamBox made the programs StreamBox VCR and StreamBox Ripper. Real Networks was concerned about this and sued StreamBox. Real Networks won the initial case. During a lengthy appeal, a settlement was reached where StreamBox agreed to stop developing their software. Real Networks was worried about losing the appeal and StreamBox didn't have the money to fight any longer.

In the years since then many other people and company's have made streaming media recording software. Millions of people use streaming media recording software. I know of no other examples where the makers of this software or the users of this software for personal use, have had any legal problems.
    Not where I live.
    Not for my Personal Use.
    Not for my Fair Use.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It is 110% illegal in the UK.
    Check the DCMCA in the US as well.
    Fair use doesn't come into it any more - ask 321 studios.

I personally think it is all a crock - but it doesn't make it go away.
    Telling someone it is okay to record streams from BBC Radio 1 essential mixes is not good, as in the UK it is definitely illegal. Has been since October 31, 2003 with the Copyright & related rights regulations 2003 amendments. I have had lawyers working on this since it came out, as we have lost a lot of our business.
    Maybe it is okay where you live. It is not in the UK.

10. Veblin

Veblin Active member

If you mean DMCA. Streaming media recording does not involve any decryption or bypassing of Digital Rights Management.

321 Studios has not been prohibited from selling DVD back-up software. They have only been prohibited from including decryption with that software.

At the very time I am typing this post, The United States House of Representatives, Committee on Energy and Commerce, is holding a Hearing.
    H.R. 107, The Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act of 2003
    Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection
    May 12, 2004
    2123 Rayburn House Office Building
    10:00 AM
    http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/Hearings/05122004hearing1265/hearing.htm

The United States Government is streaming a broadcast of this Hearing on the Internet. I am using my right of Fair Use to record this streaming broadcast for my personal use.

The BBC broadcasts World Wide and on the World Wide Web. Since they do this, I don't see how a law that prohibits people in the UK from using Fair Use, applies to billions of other people in the world, many who do have the right of Fair Use.

I looked at your web site and don't really see how it deals with broadcasting, but you say you have your lawyers working on this since it came out. Does that mean that they are working to get back your Fair Use rights in the UK?

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

We do not deal with broadcasting, but I will copy in and post the relevant section of the 2003 regulations.

Check back in about 3 hours time for this.