1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downloading files/ reviewing past downloade

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Feb 11, 2008.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

As a newbie, I need to ask this question. When I download a program or file, Zone alarm, or a codec pack for instance, I click on the download link. A box opens in the center of the screen, open,save file? it asks. Open file,. Another box opens in the upper left hand corner, with a progress bar running left to right. When complete the words OPEN/REMOVE appears. A setup icon appears on my desktop, OR the program appeares on that screen. From the desktop I select the setup icon and the program opens a wizard and after a number of steps the program loads. When I download a suceeding program the same download boz appears with previous programs listed under the current downloading program. Now my question. How and where do I go to see all the programs downloaded to my computer in addition to ALL PROGRAMS list? Is ther a way to call up that aforementioed download box at will? So I can remove programs directly from that list? Des removeing the setup icon on the desktop also remove the program? Does removeing a download from that box also remove the program? I know these might seem like obvious questions, but as a newbie I would like to know. Incident ly there are times where I need to go to a third party site to download a program, either because the brand site doe not provide a working download link, or the link also downloads other programs or tools, or a browser or any number of unwanted and unavoidable things that are addons to the desired program. ZONE ALARM falls into that catagory, It took a search to find a site where I could download ONLY what I was looking for. Any other tips for XP that are useable from a use point of view would be helpful. A search for these issues turned up no useable answers.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

There should be a designated folder that your downloads are kept in, check your browsers settings to see the path to that directory. From there you can delete the zip files, exe's or setup files as needed. To remove the programs if they are no longer needed you can go to add/remove programs or use a utility such as Ccleaner to do the same thing and straighten up registry errors/conflicts and other gobbledy gook while you are there.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

locoeng--- Thank you for your advice. In FIREFOX how would I check the PATH to find that designated folder and what would it be called? Once I find it I am sure I can do what I need to. Just give me some guidence if you can.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm at work using IE and don't have access to Firefox ATM, I'll check for you when I get home.

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

(1) Menu bar: Tools - Options

[​IMG]

(2) See/set download save path in Main section

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008