1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downright Best Media

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by hedmunky, Mar 2, 2005.

1. hedmunky

hedmunky Member

I know its been asked before but it got a lot of differnt answers.

What is absolutly without a doubt most compatible and the best media for PS2 backups?

I usually use Ritek-G04 DVD-R's. I know that the G05's dont work to well, but would Verbatium 8x discs work better. I dont wanna burn at 8x for PS2 games but I do for movies and other things, so I do wanna get 8x discs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

verbatim data life plus is the best (4x).

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

your never going to get a straight answer on this, its a matter of opinion. Use whatever works well for you, because youll find someone who has absolutley no luck with the discs you love

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Deadcat is right, it is whatever worked best for the individual.
    I use Phillips 8X DVD-R for all my back up games and they work every time. NO video or sound problems, no game lag, nothing but perfect copies. Although i am probably the only one using those discs, they are not as common as Memorex, Verbatim, Ritek or Imation but you can get them at Office Depot's web site or store.

5. djliamc

djliamc Guest

I personally use bulkpaq gen4 4x dvd-r every time to back up my ps2 games and i have had no coasters and they work perfect on my v9 smd v3.3 the bulkpaq cost me £4.99 for 25

6. Ikari_San

Ikari_San Member

Verbatim has been 100% successful for me (about 80 discs so far). I have used 4x and 8x versions of the discs, both manufactured in Singapore and Taiwan. Both have been flawless but the Singapore-made ones are said to be a bit better, the argument being they are manufactured in MCC's production plant, whereas the Taiwanese-made discs are not, but are made to MCC's standard of quality control. I am yet to notice a difference other than a slight change in the texture of the materials.

I have also tried Verbatim -RW and +R discs on the PS2, the -RW's work flawlessly, but the +R I burnt was San Andreas and refused to stream the graphics from the disc while driving around the city. On a -R it is flawless, so perhaps +R is incompatible with some versions of the PS2 or some streaming-intensive games?

I also bought a box of 10 Princo's and 3 of them were duds, with FMV in PS2 games skipping and freezing the console. This happened a few weeks after I had burnt the discs and also on hot days, so their archival stability seems to be poor since they were initially good. Also one of them had a big scratch on it from the factory. They are not made to comply with any standards either, I would recommend staying away from them.

cheers