1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPG Quality

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Ecko_Blue, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Ecko_Blue

Ecko_Blue Member

Hey, how're you doing?

I'm trying to rip the movie Snatch from the DVD to work on my DS. I got it to MPG format on my PC, still beautiful DVD quality, perfect sound sync. I throw it into DPGEnc (4:3 full screen 256x192, ~200kbps video, 128kbsp audio, 24fps) The result is less than tolerable.

BatchDPG was a bit friendlier to work with, I used the same settings, tried raising the video quality to 500 kbps with 1200 kbps max, mono audio, and 18fps. Still the quality was lacking. It wasn't choppy, there was no skipping, however it was very noticably pixelated and the audio would go in and out of sync (up to 5-8 seconds in some parts).

These are the only 2 encoders at the moment that I know of that support DPG format. I'd love to do this on TMPGEnc or something, but I can't :(

Does a too-high bitrate DPG video cause the video to lose sync because of the DS' weak processing power? Is there another encoder that supports DPG? Perhaps a setting I'm overlooking?

The source file is a 1h45min long MPEG-2 video with AC3 (2-chan) audio converted to WAV with BeLight for DPGEnc. Ripped from the DVD that I own with DVD Decrypter.

2. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

Unfortunately, due to hardware, video will not appear as great as it does on other devices, such as the PSP. According to the Wikipedia entry for the Nintendo DS, it uses "Point (nearest neighbor) texture filtering, leading to some titles having a blocky appearance." You can actually see this blockiness in-game with FMVs.

With regards to the desynchronization, I have never encoded video with bitrates that high. I have used the DGP default bitrate of 256 with a max bitrate of 384 for videos up to 22 minutes long with no desync. You may also want to speed of your microSD card to confirm it can handle such bitrates.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. RSkyDiver

RSkyDiver Member

How can we test the speed?