1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dramatic PC Slowdown

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Buchanan, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Buchanan

Buchanan Member

I run a 2.4 ghz custom DELL with 512 DDR RAM, yet it is impossible for me to burn a cd or dvd and do anything else. My DVD Burner is a Lite-on 401-s model. For instance, I tried playing music while burning a DVD,impossible. I recieve very, very choppy sound. Windows are also much slower to load. And I actually had problems playing a dvd in my pc yesterday without it chopping. Plus take into consideration that I have a "clean" hdd, which I reformated a few weeks ago. If anyone could help link me to the source of this issue, it would be much appreciated. Oh and I am running Windows XP Home edition.
    Thanks - Bull Buchanan

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Bull,
    Trying to multi task while burning is a risky proposition, your computer is working hard to burn some gigantic files and uses most of its resources doing so.
    The best thing you could do is to use DVDShrink 3.1.4. It has a "low priority mode" just for that purpose.
    More RAM would help too. You have plenty, but for what you are doing doubling it to 1024 MB would be resonable.

Frank

3. Buchanan

Buchanan Member

Thanks Frank, you have been more than helpful. I was considering that to be a factor, so maybe Ill try and find some more RAM.
    Thanks - Bull Buchanan

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I upgraded my Vaio 1 stick at a time, there was a big improvement when I swapped a 256 MB for a 512 MB, a total of 768 MB, then I finally did it again for 1024 MB.
    My specs are similar to yours, just more RAM.

Cheers,
    Frank