1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRE (disc dead error)!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Shadow-S, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Shadow-S

Shadow-S Member

THIS IS GETTING ME SO FUC#ING PISSED!
    Allright heres the problems:
    1) allright my ps2 is modded with the soderless modchip (v7) and every time i put a disc in it, it gives me an DRE, but when i try an cd-r (cd based games that are 800mb or less) it loads them perfectley, but it will [bold]not load any dvd movies or dvd based games [/bold]
    2) this is one of my friends ps2, he is having almost the same problem as me, he has an v6 ps2 um-modded but and he gets the DRE [bold] only on [/bold] cd based games, but the dvd based games and the dvd movies work fine with his ps2.
    I tried following this DRE fix from techtv.com http://www.techtv.com/xplay/features/story/0,24330,3516150,00.html
    but sadley no luck.
    So if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this I would really appreaciate it.

2. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

Hmmm when I was searching Ebay to buy a PS2 system, I was surprised on how many systems being sold that had those problems. I would like to know this as well.

3. colburn

colburn Member

yea me too, tried cleaning and adjusting the laser, no go. Anybody know anything else to try?

4. jk323

jk323 Guest

send back to sony all you gotta do is lie to them about buying ur ps2 within 3 month period because they will fix dre glitches for free only if ur system is unmodded

5. colburn

colburn Member

That seems a hassle, and plus the warranty seal is broken, but it will be a last resort to try.

6. Shadow-S

Shadow-S Member

ya or you can also like buy another ps2 from some store (targer, bestbuy, circuit city, ect.) and then take out the new one and put in your crappy one and return it to them...but make shure it looks new and tell them that it dosn't work, so they will replace it.
    But ehough with the suggestions about getting a new ps2, [bold] Does anyone have any suggestions on how to FIX the problem? [/bold]

7. iuli_psx

iuli_psx Guest

ps2 lens is fragile. some lens. i read somewhere if change lens circuit the len will work. but i don't try yet. teh shore method is to replace lens. be carefuly is 4 type lens.

8. colburn

colburn Member

If i were to open the new ps2 up that would void the warranty also.

Besides im not buyin a new ps2, i have two, one works the other im working on fixing the dre. I bought it used knowing it had something wrong with it in hopes i could fix it, i fixed the fan, only thing left is the DRE, then should be good as new.

9. SoCalSRH

SoCalSRH Regular member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. Shadow-S

Shadow-S Member

I was checking out about 100s of sites and forms in the net, and each one had their own little suggestions.
    I found this other soultuion where you have to [bold] adjust the voltage level of your laser. [/bold] So I tried checking up more on that, and seems like a possible solution. But i am having some problem following the "steps" of the fix.
    So lets see if any of you ppl might have any luck on this.
    Heres the "steps that i tried following:
    http://www.geocities.com/djyayo/faq4.html

[bold] You might want to read the entile FAQ befor starting/judging anything. [/bold]

11. bfred

bfred Member

I would suggest that u send it in to repairs. Alot of repair shops advertise $30 for a laser cleaning, adjusting for DVD-r, cd-r and movie media. If you need a laser will be an extra 70.00. I seen a advertise for $10 to take appart 15 for repair + parts.

12. colburn

colburn Member

I can do the laser cleaning and adjusting myself, i was hoping to fix this ps2 myself for FREE, but if i were to spend any money on it, i would just buy a new laser. Could prolly get a new one for around 45-50 and it would be good as new, thats a last resort though.

13. Shadow-S

Shadow-S Member

has anyone succesfully fixed their dre by them self?....if so what method?....

did anyone try to adjust the voltage level of their ps2's laser to fix the dre?...any succes?

14. iuli_psx

iuli_psx Guest

adjust voltage work if ps2 read just only 1 dvd. if lens have dre on read original dvd then i thik the lens is damage. i modchip and repair psx and ps2 since 1997 and i can't repair any dvd damage lens.

15. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

TRY THIS METHOD. IT WORKS FOR ME. A COUPLE MONTHS AGO I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM. BUT WHEN I TRY PLACING MY PS2 IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS, THE DISC READ ERROR STOP. BEFORE, MY PS2 WAS PLACED HORIZONTAL SO I TRY PLACING IT VERTICAL AND THE DISC READ ERROR STOP. IF THAT DOESNT WORK TRY PLACING YOUR PS2 IN ALL THE POSITIONS YOU CAN. HOPE THIS HELP.

16. ajstp63

ajstp63 Member

I recently bought 2 ps2 systems for 30 bucks a piece with the same problem. They would power up but give you a disk read error. If you would look closely in back of the disc tray, you will see a white adjustment wheel. Of course the cover has to be removed and the seal broken. Make a mark on the wheel for a starting point, after that, start turning the wheel a click at a time either way and continue trying to boot the system up. This method takes some patience but seems to work perfectly. I am enjoying my 2 systems for the grand total of 60 dollars. Gook luck.

17. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

i haved that problem too you can fix it by
    loading the game with the old loading
    technique with the Ps2 using game shark or
    action replay _X_X_X_X_X_[small]A Cracker Enginner for tha service of the comunity[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2003
  18. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I fixed a DRE unit once by replacing the lens with one I pulled from a unit that was a victim of a failed mod install. Worked like a champ.

19. 21XL

21XL Guest

20. mann75

mann75 Member

yes its easy to adjust the power voltage of the laser BUT doing thgis will result in a temperally fix. you will burn the laser out even faster the best thing to do is get a new laser. and go to http://www.ps2newz.net/index.php?s= you will learn everything you need to know