1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRE problem FIX

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by NORATIO, May 1, 2005.

1. NORATIO

NORATIO Member

Hi there, I found how to make all game work this method.

- Burn game with Mini-DVD (i use Ritek or RIDATA G04).
    - Pot between 185 and 205 ( mine is 190)
    - With a black permanent marker ( i use a Super Sharpie), put black ink all around the disk, i mean at the end of the disk, on the surface. Where it's transparent at the end, I'v put black on all disk's end with DRE problem and now all is working. NO MORE DISK READ ERROR media. Work on GCOS with BBA or VIPER. I test it on 4 gamecube and all DRE is gone.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy, hope it will work for all of you.

2. jpjay

jpjay Member

interesting idea ,i use to by alot of lazer discs and to get an improved image and sound quality we use to do something like this to stop light refraction,we use to put a green pen to the edge of the disc not eather of the surfaces .also this was a well proven theory as retail kits to do this were sold at most good home cinema stores.well worth a try.

3. ourico

ourico Member

well.......
    just to say that for me this method didnt work i still get DRE's :(

4. Ize

Ize Regular member

This fix might also explain why full sized DVD's work since the laser never reaches the transparent edge..

i'm going to have to research this.

5. grbrum

grbrum Member

Are full size DVDs the Solution to RDE ????

6. gengar7

gengar7 Member

DonĀ“t waste time , the solution its buy a pioneer burner dvr-108, or dvr-109, and a good media (any, mini, and full) and you got a free dre games

7. grbrum

grbrum Member

not the solution for me.. (at least regarding the money)

8. Ize

Ize Regular member

Since most of us already have DVD burners, we are not going to go out and buy new ones.

This is a Fix, it makes sense, Full sized DVDs also are a fix, but require either a new case or a open case.

9. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

do you put the black line on the top or bottom surface of the disc?

Maybe a stupid question, but still I'm asking

10. Ize

Ize Regular member

Top, if you place it on the bottom you risk covering a portion of the encoded section thus making the gmae completely useless.

11. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

NORATIO, this might sound wrong but, I love you! It works perfect. I been waiting for so long for an end to my DREs. I already had my laser tweaked to 195, but it still had quite a few DREs.

Resident Evil 4 had a DRE when you exited the main menu, Bomberman Land 2 had a DRE when loading a save game.

I owe you a lot. I hope you don't mind if I post this on Maxconsole, I'll give you credit.

Oh yah, and when the gamecube is on, you can open the lid while the disc is spinning and touch the marker to it, so it will be neater and faster.

12. NORATIO

NORATIO Member

Thank you for trying this trick. We find out that the black marker work really only with the RIDATA (RITECK) mini-DVD. We've try sony mini-dvd and it was not working. Now 70 burned games without any DRE.

Hope they help many people.

13. clickbile

clickbile Member

Yeah, it didn't help on Memorex. Memorex worked fine on my Viper GCN until I got a new 5-pack just a few days ago and the new discs, which were noticably lower-quality than the old kind, required swapping to work. They gave occasional DREs, the first I had ever had on my GameCube, and one game - Eternal Darkness - always gave a DRE at the first cutscene. So I tried the disc-circling technique and it didn't help at all. Thanks anyways.

14. koteshi

koteshi Regular member

I have a no-name DVD burner in my notebook and since i changed from mini-dvd-r and normal dvd-r to full dvd+r i hadn't had a single dre.

btw: i've never tweaked my laser :-D

15. Gunout

Gunout Member

maybe you have to mark the other side of the dvd on which the trick doesn't work (and try not to mark gamedata :p)

16. PANIC-GC

PANIC-GC Member

Thanx for your topic NORAITO. You help me so much. I try everything and search for months to get rid of "Disk Read Error". I bought Ridata MINI DVD-R from ebay and try your black marker trick. This trick was working 100% on my GC with GCOS 1.4 load via LAN. But now, I'v install a VIPER MODCHIP and DRE came back. All was working fine, but with the modchip, DRE makes me sad. So i bought another Gamecube for $79 US, change the POT to 190 and the black marker trick work again via LAN boot. I think it's working only with the Swap trick.

Any of you have getting this trick working with the VIPER MODCHIP ?
    Can you help me please Noratio ?

17. NORATIO

NORATIO Member

You maybe right. I only test it on NON-MOD GC with BBA + GCOS 1.4. I think when you have a viper, the code to load a COPY is not the same as on the swap method.

I tought it could work with the VIPER, but the truth is that it's was not test before.

Important note to everyone who try this method
    ***** This method work with BBA + PSO + GCOS 1.4 on the SWAP METHOD and does not work on VIPER or QOOB MODCHIP. ********

18. PANIC-GC

PANIC-GC Member

So you're telling me that this method cannot work with the VIPER ?

I saw on a site that RIPER (a copy of the viper) programmers was working on the code to disable DRE. I found that when i play a game with the swap disk method, the laser goes at the end of the disk when a video finish or when i get into a menu (exactly where in the game i was gettin DRE), this can be the reason why the black marker trick are working like full DVD. And on my VIPERED Gamecube, when i play with the same mini-disk, on the same video, the laser don't go at the end of the disk.

Is the code in the viper's bios bypass the original command line who tells the laser to go at the end. Maybe the new game has protection and the black marker trick with the BBA with swap trick over the lan bypass this "O la main". But for now, i going to use my GC with the BBA and the slow PSO method with GCOS 1.4 + Black Marker Trick. Sorry for my english, it's not my first spoken language.