1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreamcast on psp Possable?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by SwordsG, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

I know we have the ps on psp, but i been playing some old dreamcast games and was wondering.

Can we port it to psp?.

I heard sevel times the psp is more powerfull then the dreamcast.
    I personaly would love to play some dreamcast on it.

2. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

No my friend the Dreamcast's hardware is considerably more powerful than PSP:

# CPU: SH-4 RISC CPU with 128 Bit FPU functions for 3D graphics computations (operating frequency: 200 MHz, 360 MIPS, 1.4 GFLOPS)

# Graphics Engine: PowerVR2 CLX2, 7.0 Mil polygons/second peak performance, supports Trilinear filtering. Actual maximum in game performance (with full textures, lighting, gameplay, etc...) of 3-5 Mil polygons/second. Tile Based Deferred Rendering eliminates overdraw by only drawing visible polygons. This allows more efficient use of polygons and can make games appear to have 2-4 times their actual polygon count (depending on amount of overdraw eliminated).

# Memory: Main RAM: 16 MiB 64 Bit 100 MHz, Video RAM: 8 MiB 4x16 Bit 100 MHz, Sound RAM: 2 MiB 16 Bit 66 MHz

# VQ Texture Compression [4]

# Sound Engine: Yamaha AICA Sound Processor: 22.5 MHz 32-Bit ARM7 RISC CPU: 45 MHz [5], 64 channel PCM/ADPCM sampler (4:1 compression), XG MIDI support, 128 step DSP

Especially in terms of graphics the Dreamcast's VPU has way more memory and can output 7 million polygons per second (peak) that's a good 4-5 million higher than the PSP at peak output.

3. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No, the PSP is stronger than the DC:
    Wikipedia says:
    But to emulate something properly, you need a system that't ten times as strong as the system you want to emulate. That's why there still is no really working PS2-PC emulator, the PS2 is close to the PSP, hardware wise.

4. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

WRONG

It has a faster CPU but far less system memory, VRAM and graphical output capabilites.

And what are talking about the PS2 is similar to the PSP, the PS2's hardware although dated is far more complex than the PSP.

And yes thanks for copying that off wikipedia for us.

5. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

This is where i found problems sevel people says its weaker, but then some say its the other way round.
    I think then the only way we will get it working is for sony to do it for us.

Still i rather see the n64 be ported over at full speed almost

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No matter what way around it is, getting DC on PSP is way impossible, as I wrote before, you need anything close to 10 times as strong as the system you want to emulate.

7. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

Yes i know thats why i said if sony does it for us, which they wont.
    So i wait for n64 on psp now the r9 version

8. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Sony could not do it for us! PSP is closer to the Playstation than the Playstation2! The dreamcast was a full generation AFTER the Playstation. It is NOT physically or technologically possible. Sony could only do if they were wizards from mordor! LOL

9. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

If its got to be 10 times more powerfull then
    whats the status of the psp.
    Because people said it could never be done but then sony created it.
    Is there something we might have missed which sony knows off.

Im sure the psp is not 10 times stronger then the psp.
    more like 4 i bet.

10. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

?

11. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

What the hell is all this bullshit about needing a 10 times more powerful system??

Emulating is replicating software from one type of system and making it run VIRTUALLY on another system. Hardware power is not that important, the important thing is to be able to copy as closely as possible the firmware and system software and structure of the system you want to emulate.

It would be impossible to emulate the DC on the PSP for a number of reasons:

1. PSP's technical specs aren't good enough, it has less VRAM, lower pixel output and not enough memory. DC games would have to be emulated mainly by software rendering to compensate for the PSP's lack of video and audio processing power, which would mean games would run very very slow, would be very buggy and of inferior quality to the real thing (crap textures, bad sound, low framerates).

2. The size of DC games on the GD-ROM format are too large to be effectively stored and processed by the PSP on it's system memory and cache. The PSP wouldn't be able to handle the size of the DS's memory kernels and would need far more system memory (RAM).

3. Ripping DC games to ISO formats and converting that to a format the PSP could understand and getting the PSP homebrew community to make all the necessary programs for this would take QUITE A WHILE, and I doubt anyone is actually willing to make a DC emulator in the first place, because it was an unpopular console is quite rare these days.

4. Who the hell wants a DC emulator anyway, it had a few gems but most of it's games sucked crap, it was a poor console and is pretty dated by today's standards.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  12. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

i wouldn't call a DS unpopular.

Nintendo hasn't really flopped anything they've released, the target market isn't the same as the psp's though.

Nintendo has always marketed to a lower age group then the competition and are considered the family friendly game company.

their hold is strong in the market.

EDIT > there are quite a few NDS rips online, so i wouldn't say it's unwanted. Ever been to BC??

13. paul91

paul91 Regular member

Amir89 why do you keep saying the DS WAS a poor console and WAS unpopular? you can still buy it now

14. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Sorry I was talking about the DreamCast.. I thort u guys realised.

I'll edit my post

15. Sonysoft

Sonysoft Member

It woulda been good, but yea like everyone else has said it is impossible. Like the other guy said i would much rather have n64emulation, games like ocarina of time, conker, goldeneye, and the list goes on...would be bloody glorious in ur hand!

16. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

too bad that'll never happen either. hell the xbox is more then twice as powerful as the psp and can't emulate n64 games at full speed. there is a couple games that play well enough to actually facilitate playing through the game. but the list is minimal at best.