1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive doesn't read certain dvds at all.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Akazecks, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

Hello... I have a Lite-On 1633s and cannot read Van Hellsing or Titus Andronicus... I put in the dvd and nothing happens... It just tries to read it for a bit... then gives up and nothing happens... Is this normal?... Add ocean's twelve to that....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

seems odd for originals? but you might want to try upgrading your firmware for the drive may help?

3. colw

colw Active member

Are they of Asian origin???

4. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

They are all USA originals and my firmware is upgraded. That was the first thing i've done, i've been doing this for a while, this is the first time I am experiancing these kinds of problems.

5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Will those DVD play in your home DVD player ?
    Have you tryed them in an other PC DVD Drive ?

Are they dirty ? Scratched ?

Your DVD Drive will see other DVD movies without problems ?

6. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

I;ve got them to work. For some reason if I restart the komputer while the dvd is in the drive and start it up again, it detects it and works fine. There is something definitely up since my drive used to work flawlessly just a week ago. It has only happened to those movies, but I remember that Val Hellsing a week ago worked great and now I gotta restart the komp to get it to work. The DVDs worked fine on the normal player.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sounds like either your drives need uninstalling and reboot to find them, do this from device manager, or another app is taking control of your drives! and not allowing access, do you have incd loaded?

8. bcnn

bcnn Member

What is , "incd "? am responding to Rotary remarks. I am having the same problem with some dvds.....

9. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

I don't think I do...

10. clift

clift Member

Hi,
    I've got the same problem. The only difference is that I have an LG burner. My drive can read regular commerical discs but can't play DVD9 asian discs. I've tried this with both OLDBOY and Memories of Murder. Can someone tell me how I can fix this?
    Thanks.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

INCD is part of nero suite..

======================================

1. Running Programs

Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
    Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
    Select [Start] -> [Run], then input "msconfig". Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray'.

Windows 2000/XP Users
    Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

2. Drive Connection

Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the "master". If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
    Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

3. ASPI Manager

Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
    Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
    Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
    Use a different blank, recordable disc.
    Use a different manufacturer's disc.
    Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
    If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
    When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
    Try cleaning the disc.
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.
    Try using a different source drive.
    To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
    Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
    Insert your disc into the new drive.
    Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
    When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

12. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

G.. Thanks Rotary, imma try that to fix up my drive..

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Lite-On 1633s, we know you have that. How about the PC it is in and the operating system? Then you can get into software interference and a number of possibilities. As well as media problems.

Just a note on something I saw earlier. ASPI is seldom needed with the ATAPI interface of windows XP. In some rare instances, some drives may need it. Most of the threads where I noticed ASPI suggested as a remedy, it wasn't the solution. When in doubt one can install it, it hurts nothing if it isn't the solution. Check to make sure it is being done properly. One thing is for sure, the interface doesn't come and go unless something is interfering with it. Sounds like some operation files have been corrupted somewhere. Hope it doesn't go so far that you have to reinstall Windows. In some cases it happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  14. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

I have win xp on my system... It used to work fine before... must be something got korrupted or something... It's a pain having to reinstall everything...

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Try deleting the program in question and reinstalling it. After using the Add Remove in the Control Panel, check the program folder to make sure you removed the entire program. Sometimes reinstalling a program will straighten it out; it depends on whether there is something wrong with the system or the program alone.

16. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

I didn't want the program, I deleted it. I also kleaned up the registry to make sure it is gone...

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Akazecks

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the program? This thread has gone this far and we have only learned just recently that your "komp" with the Lite-On 1633s has the XP operating system. I'm left wondering what the problematic program was.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  18. Akazecks

Akazecks Regular member

the program was a program that came with the action replay max to burn genesis emulater and update the codes on the action replay. It installed it's own aspi layers and afterwards is when I started to experiance things, a week later I installed it, that is why I think it was that program. Removed it though.