1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive emulators - Advantages/disadvantages of each one?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by funksoulb, Oct 11, 2011.

1. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I've been looking at things like the xk3y and the Wasabi 360 (I'm sure there are others, or if not, there will be) but I don't know which is the best choice. Does anyone have enough knowledge about them that they could share the pros and cons of each one? Or maybe a link that compares them? I can't really find any decent info other than people on forums saying "this one is better!", "no, this one is better!" which is useless really.

2. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

No one will truly know until there is some "hands-on" with these devices.

I myself, don't think one will be much better than the other. I'm just surprised that none of the companies has made one that "physically integrates" with the console. Like a faceplate with the contols on it. Or even a replacement case with the controls on it and maybe a place for an extra HDD for an all-in-one unit.

3. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

I'm leaning towards the Wasabi which does kinda integrate with the console at least in the way it looks.

From reading a bit about both, they are very similar but I prefer the way that the Wasabi loads ISOs and I prefer the way it looks and that no remote is required. My only concern with it is how easy it would be for MS to block its ISO loading method with an update, as the xk3y seems a bit more robust in that respect.

I think I'll wait a while to see how they go, then if both are working out OK I'll get a Wasabi for my 360 S. Using custom firmware was OK when there were only 6 AP2.5 games, but now that all XGD3 games have it, that's a lot of re-patching and re-burning when MS update the DAE table and I just can't be bothered with that, plus it solves the problem of XGD3 ISOs not fitting on a DVD+R DL.

4. 360lifer

360lifer Regular member

There are a few main differences between the x360key and wasabi 360.

Lets first talk about how they connect to the 360 itself:

The key uses a circuit board that sits inside the case and that you have to protect using electric tape or such. It then has a usb cable that runs out the back of the 360. Its kinda tight without doing any physical mods to the case. Then that cable connects to the device with the screen and thats also where you connect your usb flash drive or hard drive. The device has a screen that allows you to browse and load your iso files. The makers of the key say they are working on wireless browsing for your PC and smart phones.

The wasabi team has only released install guides for the slim model so based off that, everything is housed within the wasabi case that then attaches to the top of the slim. It has long cables that allow it to connect to the 360. While this is a much safer option, it requires you to actually cut a hole in the metal cage to route these cables. Otherwise you would have to leave your case off or such. You then use the actual dashboard to load isos by using the video option. You also connect esata drives but they say a esata to usb connector will also work.

In regards to support, I've seen two or three firmware updates from the key people and zero updates from wasabi. In terms of just internet popularity, the key is what you keep hearing people say. The wasabi was supposed to be for sale by the end of last month but it seems to have slipped with no update besides 'early oct' but its nearly mid so eh. The key is shipping now but only 300 units are being sent out a day due to internal testing. So, it might be a few weeks before they are really stocked.

I have a friend who will be getting the key and most likely I will be getting the key by end of year also. To us, it just seems like the makers are really active and are 100% commited. Wasabi annoys me that they've not released the phat install guide and also annoyed that they have a version for the phat and slim so while you could connect the cables and such, it won't attach to the case ect ect.

Yeah, I've been watching both of them for two months now. So far it appears the key isn't impacted by that new security in forza 4 so really it could do away with these annoying little security checks that MS keeps thinking up.

5. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

What were the Wasabi team like with supporting earlier products?

I'm definitely going to wait either way, cos I want to see how MS react to these things and how well they're supported over the first few months when there's loads of them out there in people's hands.

Something else I meant to ask - On the Wasabi site it says that the only file you need from the 360 is key.bin. I can get that from my 360 S with the Lizard I already have. On the xk3y site it implies you need a full firmware dump and I'm assuming I can't do one of those without first unlocking the drive, which is an 0272 - maybe I'm wrong about that though - any idea?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  6. 360lifer

360lifer Regular member

I don't know the history of wasabi myself but I've heard that they did or tried to do a Wii mod and nothing came of it. Thats all I've heard about them.

Both devices just need your key. You rename your dummy.bin to whatever name they want and just load that up.

See if this video answers your question about the file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPXCTH_uuBQ

7. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Thanks man.

I guess my one area of confusion is using the Lizard to dump the firmware from my 0272 drive. I know the drive is locked for writing, but I read somewhere that you could dump the key, but you couldn't do a full firmware dump. The video you linked to says you need source_dummy.bin, while on the Wasabi site they say you just need key.bin. I'm pretty sure I can get key.bin from my drive using the Lizard, but I don't know about source_dummy.bin because I don't know if I need to unlock the drive to get that file off there.

8. 360lifer

360lifer Regular member

Ok, the device he used named the file source_dummy.bin but that really don't matter. If you see in the video, it dumped like a dozen files but only one of them is the OFW, the 256kbytes one.

When you see him move the file to the sd card, he renames it to dummy.bin for the x360key. The wasabi wants you to name the same file key.bin.

Its the same file but just named the way the device is expected to find it as. So yeah, you can dump the firmware on the 0272 drive then use an emulator.

Hell, if you had already dumped your drive before it came locked down and crap, you would just need to name it whatever for the device you got and you are set to go!

9. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Right, but that's what I'm still confused about, haha. I didn't dump the drive before it was locked by the dashboard update, but can I still dump it now? I'm confused over that, cos I've read that it's only locked for writing (so you can't flash it with custom firmware without unlocking it) and can still be dumped but I don't know if that's true or not.

Obviously, I could unlock it and dump it, but I don't really want to drill into the chip to do it, cos knowing my luck I'll drill in the wrong place or drill too deep or whatever. I have a fat 360 that I could use instead, but I'd rather sell that and just use my 360 S.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  10. 360lifer

360lifer Regular member

According to jungleflasher, you should have no problems dumping the OFW/key. You run into issues if you want to actually write to the drive. So your slim should work just fine for the emulators.

Once my friend does get it I will be sure to post my thoughts on here but that could be weeks.... dang merchants. :D

11. funksoulb

funksoulb Regular member

Cool, thanks.

I'm going to wait a while anyway cos I went to see how MS respond to them, so if you get hold of one then post up your thoughts.