1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive Firmware

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Eminent, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Eminent

Eminent Guest

I was told somewhere that the drives firmware limits the speed a drive can read and write. Is this true. I've heard it from a few sources already. I believe they said we needed a hacked firmware to increase the speed. Like the drive might say it writes at 16x but it is limited to 8x.

Any info on what we can do.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

No, thats not how firmware works. And just to get it out first, I'd recommend to NEVER use hacked firmware, because even with the firmware the company puts out, you screw up, and the drive is dead. Firmware updates the program the drive operates on, so if you bought an 8x burner 6 months ago, you could probably find official firmware that would allow your drive to burn at 16x. The main purposes of firmware are to: 1)fix problems that were shipped with the drive ; 2) update the media that the drive is able to burn ; and 3) update the technology of the drive(ie increase the burning speed). Hope that helps.