1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive not initializing in Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dude98210, May 29, 2004.

1. dude98210

dude98210 Member

Hi Everyone,

I can't seem to find this answer anywhere (or at least not in the last 90 days) so sorry if its been brought up before. I use DVD Shrink and Nero to back up my DVDs. Just last night, when I went to burn the files to the DVD, the Burn button in DVD-Video back is greyed out and i can't burn. The progress bar at the bottom is "waiting for disc drive" and when its complete, it says, "The Drive is not initializing! perhaps due to a defective disc". Now I tried TDK, Ritek, Fuji and Verbatim DVD-Rs as well as CD-Rs up until last night so I don't know why it wont burn now. Somehow I think its Nero because I can still use the drive, back up things to CD and do drap and drop with DVDs. Watch movies with the drive and everything except burn with Nero. Anybody else have this problem? By the way, the drive is a Sony DRU-510A. Thanks for your help!

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Have you recently installed this drive? If you have, try re-installing Nero. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  3. dude98210

dude98210 Member

I tried a number of things as people have offered as solutions:

1. I removed and re-installed Nero. No Change.
    2. I disabled anti-virus protection software. Removed and re-installed Nero. No change.
    3. I removed Roxio Easy CD Creator (thought it might conflict with Nero but have had it on computer for two years), disabled anti-virus protection software, removed and re-installed Nero. No Change.
    4. I removed all backup, copying, DVD authoring, and media playing software (Roxio Easy CD Creator, DVD X Copy, Adobe Premiere, Sonic MyDVD, MusicMatch, Veritas CD Creator, Arcsoft Showbiz, and Power DVD). Diabled AV software, removed and re-installed Nero. No change.

Keep in mind that the software worked in the morning but when I used it that night, that's when I had the problem. All other functions still seem to work (hard drive backup, CD copy, burning CDs. writing to DVDs, etc.). I just notice that as I'm clicking through the steps to burn a DVD, the DVD burner's light never goes on as if it doesn't even check to see if a disk is in there or it acknowledges the drive.

Thanks for the help guys.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'd bet anything therein lies your problem. If you have read thru the threads in this forum you will see that Roxio and Nero fight like cats and dogs. You MUST remove all traces of Roxio. I have Nero Ultra 6 and I think overall it is the best most versatile program on the market today. People have been known to have problems even after removing Roxio.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  5. dude98210

dude98210 Member

Well, it would be odd if that's the case because the computer came with Roxio already installed and I haven't used it in about 10 months. The reason why I uninstalled it is because of the other threads saying how they don't like each other. But remember, I used Nero in the morning and when I used it again at night, the "Burn" button was greyed out. Roxio was never touched before or after this incident.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey dude, not sure what your problem is, strange works 1 minute, and not the next. Normally I would think it's your media, but you said you checked that...... Try this, get dvd43(freeware) run it in the background. Go to nero recode 2, there you can do everything you do in shrink(actually, i think better and easier) and try to burn. See if it reads your drive then. If not, go to the homepage, download power packs 1 & 2,and all updates. Lets see what happens then.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

7. dude98210

dude98210 Member

Thanks for the help guys but the problem may have been solved. Using the troubleshoot function in XP, it turns out the DVD function was not working. Use as a CD player/writer is fine but anything with DVDs was not cool. So I went to Sony Support to update the firmware. Nothing happened. Then I ran a Sony file called "Drive Check" and it said this at the end, "DVD Writer is functioning properly." First, I thought the program would just check the file but when I tried Nero, Roxio or any other programs I use to burn, they work fine now. The drive reads and writes DVDs like a champ. I honestly don't know what changed other than the firmware upgrade but even after that it didn't work. Could the Drive Check program have fixed it? I don't know.

As Cosmo Kramer once said:
    Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number when you buy batteries? I don't know.

Thanks for the help anyways guys.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Glad u got it goin'.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there dude98210, Welcome to AD :)

Trust me, just because it came installed on your PC is not a reason to trust it at all. Roxio loves itself and can cause havoc intermittently. It doesn't get along with anyone, we're glad you uninstalled it.

When you experience trouble in the future consider cleaning it from your registry -

Glad you're up and running now -

Cheers,

Pete