1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive replacement question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by redrob2, Dec 24, 2007.

1. redrob2

redrob2 Member

I just got my hands on a broken 360 system. Right now it gets a single flashing light when I power up the system. I know the previous owner tried modding the system and messed it up. He also never backed up the drive key. What's my best bet to get this system working again ... should I go buy another drive on ebay? Is there anything I need to be careful of? I think its a Samsung drive currently, so do I need to get another Samsung drive or can I replace it with a Hitachi? If it has to be a Samsung again does it need to be the same firmware? Thanks for the help everyone!

-Rob

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

well the first thing i would try is to get the dvd firmware off the drive, you are going to need the dvd drive key to put it on the new dvd drive you plan to purchase. i do not recommend buying a new drive until you have successfully done so. also when you get the 1 flashing light does an error code appear on screen?? because you will also want to make sure it is in fact the dvd drive and not some other hardware issue. just follow a samsung flashing tutorial.

3. redrob2

redrob2 Member

I forgot to put that it was an E65 error code. Can the CD key still be recovered with an error like this? I didn't think it could, but it'd be great if its possible.

4. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

i am honestly not 100% sure. i would just try and flash like normal maybe your in luck and the guy had no idea what the heck he was doing. i know when i flashed my first sammy i had the original firmware to far embedded in file directories where it would just error when creating hacked firmware but it would still create the hacked firmware even though the drive key was not injected into hacked firmware thus resulting in e-65, or could have spoofed as the wrong drive. just be sure if it is a samsung you should purchase yourself a via 6421 pci sata card, unless you have a compatible onboard chipset. those pci cards are dirt cheap only 15.00 on ebay. but you need anymore help i will try my best to get you up and running.

5. redrob2

redrob2 Member

I've modded my own 360 so I have the 6421 card laying around, so we'll find out shortly if I'm going to get a key out of this drive, but I don't think I'm going to have any luck here. Worst case I could always have MS service it and then have a cheap backup xbox :)

6. jaymizzle

jaymizzle Member

it might not be cheap after m$ services it ;)