1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive won't read game - Loud Clicking/Grinding Noises

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jtan189, Mar 29, 2007.

1. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the game forum or here, but I ultimately decided you guys would know more about it.

I just bought an hp pavilion dv9000t with a Lightscribe Super Multi 8x DVD+/-RW w/ DL Drive. It works fine playing movies. I put in my Starcraft game and that loaded fine also. When I tried to put Halo (for the PC) into the drive, it had some problems. My start menu would freeze and the drive would make a loud vibrating noise...almost like a clicking or grinding noise. Nothing would load from the disc. I couldn't even navigate to My Computer. Only when I ejected the disc manually would things unfreeze and work fine.

Here are some specs from my computer, in case you think they're relevant:
    Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600

As for compatibility issues with the game, I don't believe there are any. I've checked on the web and people say Halo: Combat Evolved works fine with a Windows Vista system. I looked around anyways and could find no vista compatibility patches to download. Please help.

[BTW if this needs to be posted in another area, let me know]

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

It sounds like the drive doesnt like your game. That happens to kme when i put any of my ps2 games in my pc. but thats different. Usually when it vibrates really loud it means it cant read the disc. or its having a hard time reading it. it might be vista. check on the web (google it)

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try halo in another pc to see if does same thing or not

4. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I've tried checking online to see if Vista was the problem. Every site I've read said that Halo works flawlessly on vista, without any additional patches. The Halo disc works fine in my old XP Desktop. I don't think there's a problem with the actual disc.

5. ddp

switch the rom drives between the 2 computers to see what happens to halo.

6. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I don't know what you mean by switching the rom drives. If you mean switching the actual physical drives, then I don't think it would work because one a is a laptop and one is a desktop.
    As for the Halo problem, I solved that. I made a image file of the Halo CD and then just mounted it on a virtual drive on my laptop. Of course I had to make the image file on my other computer, because my laptop still freezes up when I insert the Halo disc. So although I have solved one problem, I still have the original one. I just spent a whole lot of money on this laptop so I'm not too happy that it won't read all my discs. I did buy an extended warranty for it, but I don't know if I should send it in. I guess I could handle not having my laptop for a while...
    I just need to know what's wrong with my drive, why, and if I can fix it. If I can't, I'll send it back.

7. ddp

being that is a laptop than can't do my suggestion. get it fixed under warranty. also try halo disk where you got laptop from on identical laptop to see if has same problem or not.

8. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

The same problem just happened with my StarCraft: Brood War disc. I guess I'll have to send it in. My question is, when I send it in, do I have to send the entire laptop, or is it possible to just send the CD drive? Cause I kind of need my laptop. Do you even think the problem is my drive and not some vista crap?

9. ddp

talk to where you got laptop from whether you can send just the rom drive or have to send whole laptop. try what i posted before your last post to see if vista problem or hardware problem.